Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of trees

Options
  • 09-05-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

We have two big trees in our back garden that have become overgrown. We want to cut them down but several people have suggested killing them by injecting them with something first. Has anyone any ideas / know how to do this? What should they be injected with to kill them off and is there any "right" time to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've never heard of injecting living trees to kill them, but it would be a bit pointless because you would still have to cut them down. You can treat the stumps to kill them, but thats after you have cut them down.

If they are big trees I would suggest you employ a professional to cut them down, it can be a dangerous business if you have no experience, both to you and to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rubiee

Thanks for that. They are a good bit away from the house. What can u use for the stumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Depends on type of tree, height and diameter of tree stump etc. For example, a freshly cut stump could be hollowed out and used as a planter, or sealed and use as a bird bath etc etc. You can fix sheeting and make table tops or fix stone lintels and make informal bench/seat.

Or simply build an alpine garden around the stumps.

There are many possibilities, a little imagination is all that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

:D Sonnenblumen, I think the OP mean what can you kill them with, though I think your suggestions are much better.

I believe you can use salt or caustic soda, neither of which I would want in my garden - drill holes and put the stuff in. Or I think you can use some sort of fertilizer but I don't know how that works. Or you can buy stuff specifically for the job, again, you would have to look in a garden store and see what is available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on the type of tree, you might not need anything. some won't grow back from the stump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 kwacker84

Once you kill them, you still have to take them down!!! Get them out before they become dangerous when you kill them. They gotta go somewhere!

Advertisement