Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuation service?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Anyone recommend a good valuation service for militaria? Namely of the Third Reich variety. Want to offload some of it, but have no idea s to what it's worth.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There are some valuation and authentication ones but they charge for the service and whether or not that presents value to the seller is debatable.

The most useful one in my opinion would have been a Detlev Niemann valuation/authentication though unfortunately his business is now closed as he retired recently.

There is another well known blind scottish guy who markets himself as a 'TR expert', though how credible that piece of paper will be to a potential buyer is again debatable.

Here is one pulled off the web at random - have no idea about them as never used them

http://www.birksfoundation.com/

If I were in your shoes I would recommend going through here

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

and consider the final closing price (not the intiial inflated for sale price) as the variation between the initial 'for sale price' and the 'sold for price' can be 50% and upwards. Taking into account the condition of the items and anything unique/sought after about the items you are comparing against.

You could always post up the items here with pictures and ask for recommendations on prices from people who use this forum (some may even be interested in buying). Anything you think might be truly valuable you should always always get 2nd opinions on.

I'd go as far as to say never trust a dealer, the longer I am collecting the more horror stories I hear and more personal experience I have with them which would put me off them in terms of trusting them. Not only will they rip you off but they will brag about the extent of it later among their cronies. I have never sold anything but if I do sell some of my TR stuff it would be collector to collector.

Just my 2 c perhaps other members can give their recommendations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hey guys,

Anyone recommend a good valuation service for militaria? Namely of the Third Reich variety. Want to offload some of it, but have no idea s to what it's worth.

Cheers in advance!

What you have for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

I'm very interested to find out what's on offer aswell....

Keep me in mind if there's any iron crosses in there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I planned to start selling in the hope of turning collecting into a self financing hobby,then I just kept everything or swapped for more expensive things.
    The only bits I have that I don't want are all the fakes I've amassed, and I can't stomach the thought of selling fakes.

If you do want to offload your collection you should upload pics here and on other relevant forums, you'll get fairer offers on a public forum than from a dealer looking to make a fat margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Kowloon,

re: fakes

Don't forget that sometimes some collectors are looking for reproduction medals for uniforms on display etc or exhibitions. Once they are clearly marked as reproductions you may be able to sell them for these purposes but probably for much less than you originally paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Kerry Auction Rooms in Tralee offer a valuation service for €20, they sell a lot of militaria.

Advertisement