Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venue for hosting computer game tournaments in Cork City?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

I'll be heading down to Cork for the Summer and I'm hoping to run some computer game tournaments while I'm there. Does anyone know of any community halls, or rentable spaces that I could set up a bunch of consoles and TVs in?
    All I'd be looking for is an area to hold twenty people that would have a supply of tables and chairs, access to power outlets and ideally not cost me an arm and a leg to rent =)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

try garryduff sports centre in rochestown. just off the link about 5 /6 mins by car from douglas and on a bus route.
    021 4891978

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

What part of Cork??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Cheers, Curly. I gave them an email, so hopefully they get back to me with prices.

I'm ideally looking for somewhere roughly around the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Depending on how much space you need and for how long, you might find some pub in the city centre. You might be able to get the back room in the LV, upstairs in Fred's, Cypress Avenue or something similar if there isn't a gig on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The YMCA is in the city centre - its a religous arganisation if that makes any difference. Also Douglas & Ballinlough have community centres which are a good bit closer to the city than Garryduff.

• Advertisement

All I need is a room where I can set up a couple of TVs and consoles with enough room to fit 10-20 people for 4-5 hours. I'm not particularly looking for a Community Hall, par say, but I figured I'd just start with those and move onto function rooms and gig spaces once I had a decent price check idea. I changed the thread title to reflect this more accurately.
    Any suggestions on places that fit that bill are extremely welcome - regardless if they're pubs, sport centres or YMCA halls!

Depending on how much space you need and for how long, you might find some pub in the city centre. You might be able to get the back room in the LV, upstairs in Fred's, Cypress Avenue or something similar if there isn't a gig on.

I was onto the LV earlier and they seemed interested in the idea and gave me a great price! I'm sending one of my Cork-bound friends around to see if it will suit our needs for setting up consoles, cheers for the suggestion!
    Again, if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. The more possible places I have to run these the better. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is there any particular time of day that you need it? I wonder with the Pavillion Bar be available to you upstairs if the event was during the daytime? Might be worth giving them a ring.

The various hotels around town like the Metropole or Imperial have conference rooms but I would imagine that they would be looking for more money than a place like the LV.

Cheers. Yar, I'll probably be hosting these on weekends during the day if possible. I'll give the pavillion a shout now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Sairus wrote: »
    Cheers. Yar, I'll probably be hosting these on weekends during the day if possible. I'll give the pavillion a shout now!

On the big screen in the Pav would be cool

• Advertisement

I emailed the Pavillion and unfortunately their upstairs is in use constantly on weekends it seems. Tis a darn shame.
    The search continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

id be interested in playing in this tournament..!! what games ye gonna have there?? MW2? HALO 3? and please please say super street fighter 4... on the 360 of course!

are people to bring their own consoles?

I'm aiming for Street Fighter tournaments as I'm quite the fighting game junky.
    If anyone is willing to bring their own consoles that'd be fantastic, but I'm still looking for a venue so I wont set anything in stone till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

I'm aiming for Street Fighter tournaments as I'm quite the fighting game junky.
    If anyone is willing to bring their own consoles that'd be fantastic, but I'm still looking for a venue so I wont set anything in stone till then.

im sure people wudnt mind bringing their own consoles to a tournament like this once the tvs are supplied id say!! if i spot anythin in cork city (i live there) ill let ya know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This is quite interesting. Subscribing...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

UCC/CIT would be a good shout. If you have Smash Bros Melee, I'll be there.

If any of yee have Gamertags send me an invite sure - mine is Sairus Illumina. I'll be moving to Cork on Tuesday so I'll be trying to set up fighting game tourneys after that.
    I tried contacting the Computer Society in UCC but got no response. I had totally forgotten about CIT though - I'll give them a shout now. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Plenty room in CIT over the summer now. I will be out there so can investigate if any options.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Plenty room in CIT over the summer now. I will be out there so can investigate if any options.
    That'd be great man! Let me know if you find anything!

Advertisement