Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold ('new' TV channel)

Options
  • 09-05-2010 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

Don't get too excited, folks; it's only an idea!

Wouldn't it be great if our cash-strapped public service broadcaster launched a new channel replaying some stuff from the archives (whatever remains). I'm sure they'd pull in plenty of ad revenue.

Bosco for the young 'uns, back to back Glenroe marathons and a few old episodes of Today Tonight, Halls Pictorial Weekly, Murphys Micro-Quizm, Garda Patrol.

If not a station, even a 'Gold' night, transmitted on RTE 2 would do.

Just an idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

The past is a foreign land.....

They had one, Tara TV, but pulled the plug on it in 2001. I remember it showing old episodes of Fair City and Glenroe but was aimed at the UK market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

Don't get too excited, folks; it's only an idea!

Wouldn't it be great if our cash-strapped public service broadcaster launched a new channel replaying some stuff from the archives (whatever remains). I'm sure they'd pull in plenty of ad revenue.

Bosco for the young 'uns, back to back Glenroe marathons and a few old episodes of Today Tonight, Halls Pictorial Weekly, Murphys Micro-Quizm, Garda Patrol.

If not a station, even a 'Gold' night, transmitted on RTE 2 would do.

Just an idea.
    most of the stuff allready is like 10 years old and i dont think glenroe would catch on again,may be they should stop paying presenters crazy money,then i wont have to watch same films 5 times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

If it did happen no doubt Reeling in the Years would be on the whole time, I'd still watch it! :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

RITY is one of the best things ever to come out of RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

I've wondered for years why rte don't introduce a sports channel? It would be hugely popular and, if properly run, profitable also. Maybe they'll just wait for the BBC to do it, then copy them a few years later..

LinoRichie wrote: »
    I've wondered for years why rte don't introduce a sports channel? It would be hugely popular and, if properly run, profitable also. Maybe they'll just wait for the BBC to do it, then copy them a few years later..

Cost I'd assume. Sports channels are extremely expensive to run, hence why they tend to be operated on subscription models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Theres already an irish sports channel ,its called setanta.Another one makes no sense, the hard core fans already pay 4 sky sports.

Advertisement