Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping a caravan?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be removing the majority of electrics and furniture from a caravan soon. There will just be a shell of a caravan left.

Anyone know if there's anyone who takes caravans for scrap? I know I can pay my local scrapyard but I'm sure there's a few people out there who'll take it away for free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

try the lads who live in them full time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    try the lads who live in them full time...

:( I don't personally subscribe to the concept of low tempterature thermal recycling and would strongly advise against it.

It costs an arm and a leg to scrap a caravan in ireland now because the insualtion has to be removed from the aluminium shell etc. etc. to be 'recycled' Probably cheaper to tow it to the north to do it legally. When I looked into this it was between 1500 and 2000 euro to scrap here and 250 in the uk.

I was talking to an english bloke last year who got his kids to scrape the insulation from all the panels folded them up and gave the kids the scrap value of the aluminium. Make sure the kids have good masks :-p

If you call the usual collectors it will be recycled in a big ball of smoke like the copper cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It was meant tongue in cheek... my apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    It was meant tongue in cheek... my apologies.

I realise that but even the scrap yards were suggesting same to me without tongue in cheek and it doesn't take much of a push to get people to do stupid things when money is involved.

In my case I was offered a galvanised chassis caravan with recent tyres and good bearings to make a boat trailer after looking into it ... definitely not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Stick it up on a local freecycle site...people look for them as chicken houses/dog houses sheds etc all the time.
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Stick it up on a local freecycle site...people look for them as chicken houses/dog houses sheds etc all the time.
    Marty.

Hadn't thought of that, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

You should put it on jumbletown.ie.
    There are always people on there looking for all sorts of stuff just have a look through the 'wanted' section.

Advertisement