Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Peeling

Options
  • 09-05-2010 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi

I got a white MacBook last August, which I've been treating like my baby, and in the past month the outside of the main panel has started to peel off. (see picture) This has happened to me on not one but two of the sides of the cover. It's created a linear sort of hole at the top and i'm afraid moisture could get in, and besides that it's annoying to have paid so much for the thing and it starts doing this.

I don't have AppleCare and my 3 month warranty has ran out. Can I get this fixed for free or is it going to cost me? I've googled it and seen similar stories with people saying that because it's a known problem to Apple, they'll fix it without charge. But that was a few years ago. Don't know what the story is in Ireland today though.

This isn't my MacBook but This it exactly what mine looks like with regard to the peeling.

Any help is really appriciated,

Cheers.

CrackBook_close_up.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Use a lighter to melt it back together, if the lighter isn't hot enough then spray a can of lynx over the flame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

bedlam wrote: »
    Your macbook comes with a 1 year warranty. Call Apple support and they are still replacing them free of charge.

Cheers. Will they give me a whole new laptop or just fix it? I don't really want to lose the programmes i've installed like office and all those.
    SugarHigh wrote: »
    Use a lighter to melt it back together, if the lighter isn't hot enough then spray a can of lynx over the flame.

Ya good man i'll give that a try! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Cheers, glad to have that sorted. Hopefully all will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Ya good man i'll give that a try! :rolleyes:
    Actually maybe you should just try what the other guy said.

its now peeling but it's a known problem it should be replaced for free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Yup, that gets replaced for free and the machine doesn't have to be in warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

First a-peeling mac book I've ever seen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

take it to an Apple Service Centre, they should have it fixed in a few days free.

It's covered under an Apple Repair Extension Programme. They will replace the whole top case (palm rests & keyboard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 EvadApple

Hi

If you pm me the serial number and contact details, I can order the replacement part most part's are usually in within 24hrs. We can then change it while you wait. Takes about 10 mins.

Thanks

Dave

Cheers, glad to have that sorted. Hopefully all will be ok.

Advertisement