Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone read The Star today?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Joe Coleman's in it again. He says that the Second Coming is imminent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

No, I didn't read the Star today, nor any other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

LOL..

What happened to 'nobody knows the day or the hour...'?

nobody except Joe...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janeeen

Before i start ill just say i don't know who Joe Coleman is but from the comments he made id presume he means the second coming is near but dose not exactly know when. Sort of like the end of a football match the 90 minutes have been played injury time is over we are just waiting for the ref to blow the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

The Apostles and St. Paul thought that the second coming was imminent

Define "near" in the context of our God who has always existed and always will exist

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janeeen

If Paul thought the second coming was imminent id assume 2000 years later it would be pretty near now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

janeeen wrote: »
    If Paul thought the second coming was imminent id assume 2000 years later it would be pretty near now.

It's 2000 years nearer than it was then. It could be still 5000 years away though. Which is pretty near..

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

homer911 wrote: »
    Define "near" in the context of our God who has always existed and always will exist

This generation (Luke 21)?

That is the standard Christian interpretation of that passage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    This generation (Luke 21)?

That is the standard Christian interpretation of that passage?

There is no 'standard' interpretation.

Popular interpretations include:

a) The word 'genea' (translated 'generation' in some English versions) means 'race' (it's where we get our English word 'genocide'. So Jesus was saying that the Jewish race would not be destroyed until the end of the world. Many fundamentalist Christians see this as the reason why the Jews are still a distinct people today while Hittites, Philistines, Scythians, Elamites, Assyrians etc. are but names from ancient history.

b) 'Genea' refers to the elect, or those who have have been born again (in Greek - 'genethe anothen'). So, by this interpretation, Christian believers will persist until the end. Apparently this was a great source of encouragement to some early Church Fathers during times of fierce persecution when it looked as if Christianity might be eradicated altogether.

c) Another interpretation is that the 'End Times' started with the Fall of Jerusalem and the end of Temple worship in 70AD and that those End Times continue until the Return of Christ (whenever that may be). So, by this interpretation, the generation that heard Jesus' words lived to see the beginning of those End Times.

d) A fourth interpretation is that Jesus expected the Second Coming to occur within 50 years or so and was therefore wrong.

So, you can take your pick (and I bet I know which one you'll choose ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It's not like religion to be so vague about things.:D

But considering Paul thought the end was neigh 2000 years ago when the it was thought the world was only 4000 years old, I think we can safly say he was wrong.

Joe Coleman is not doing religious people, especially Christians any favours here. But, It is all quite amusing. Scary to see the amount of people that think he is credible though.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    So, you can take your pick (and I bet I know which one you'll choose ;) )

An you never know, I might surprised you :pac:

Anyway, what ever out differences here I think we can all agree on something, people shouldn't read the Star!

• Advertisement
Advertisement