Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution of Controllers

Options
  • 08-05-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Gamespot have done a little write up on the controllers of yesteryear.
    http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/vghm2010_controllers/image-feature/index.html?image=1

The PowerGlove of course gets a mention. So too does some weird thing called the Sega Activator :confused: Never heard of it at all myself. It's interesting I think seeing how controllers changed over the years to essentially arrive at the three main controllers we have today for the consoles. My personal favourite has always been the dualshock. It just seemed nice and simple yet had many options.

003_69517_640screen.jpg

I never heard of that big Xbox Batallion thing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

glad they mentioned the atari jag controller,still would find my one bloody awkward to play,i only use the abc buttons on it!.

No n64...pft

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i love the powerglove... it's so bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

004_57858_640screen.jpg

Ah, Ciderman has a set of those :) the game ain't my bag but whatever floats'ur'boat

Didn't know what yea meant by the Sega Activator until I looked at the pic :) remember reading about that in EGM back in the day. Shocking what they thought would be a good idea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't care if Steel Battalion is a good game or not. Any game that needs a controller that has an eject switch covered with a safety hat gets my vote!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You need the eject cover because if you hit it in the game you eject from your walking tank and thats it, it self destructs behind you and you lose it forever, and if it's your last mech thingy, then its game over, and your game is over, and you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN!
    You think Ikaruga is a hard task master? Forget it, Steel Battalion hates you and makes sure you know!

Also, the ad for the Power Glove, looks like the sort of misleading ad, when the kid takes it home and trys it out and it doesn't make him cool and have blue lightning all around, you feel kinda let down!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Also, the ad for the Power Glove, looks like the sort of misleading ad, when the kid takes it home and trys it out and it doesn't make him cool and have blue lightning all around, you feel kinda let down!

Ciderman was that kid, hoping to pick up babes with his blue lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    No n64...pft

Yeah I thought that was odd. Wasn't it the first big controller to have a "trigger" button for FPS games? I can see where Microsoft got the triggers idea for it on their controller.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You need the eject cover because if you hit it in the game you eject from your walking tank and thats it, it self destructs behind you and you lose it forever, and if it's your last mech thingy, then its game over, and your game is over, and you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN!
    You think Ikaruga is a hard task master? Forget it, Steel Battalion hates you and makes sure you know!

Was/is it really rare and expensive? I wouldn't mind a shot of it. Looks interesting. I've no table to play it at though :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Atari Mindlink.

Why was this not mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

And the atari vr helmet that was advertised,heres one in the flesh
    jagvr.jpg

and the megadrive one,never seen light of day tho
    show_image.php?id=36

• Advertisement
Advertisement