Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions from a curious skeptic.

Options
  • 08-05-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I'll be honest, I am a skeptic when it comes to ghosts etc; but I am still genuinely interested, although not particularly clued up on the subject.
    I have family in Kent, and theres' a place called Hever Castle there. It was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn (Henry VIII's second and innocently put to death wife); and many locals report seeing a horsedrawn carraige with a headless woman inside it. And there is quite a lot of those "ghostly carraige" stories around, but this is the only one I can recall in detail.
    I understand that a ghost is the imprint of a human soul. But what about the carraige? Where would the carraige come from?
    Also, the afore mentioned Anne Boleyn is also said to haunt The Tower of London, as well as a few historic buildings dotted around England.
    So can a ghost haunt more than one place?
    Sorry to home in on Anne, but I mean this post in general terms. I use her example to highlight the questions I'm asking.
    Anyway, thanks for bearing with me and any information about the workings or theories about the paranormal is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The answer to all of your questions is "i dont know" and anyone who tried to give you a scientific explanation or answer to any of your questions is talking out their arse.

Now onto more important thins. Anne Boleyn is a foxy minx with "Grimes" written all over her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

A spirit or ghost if you wish is not an imprint of our soul but it is the supernatural energy of the person who's phisical body is dead and that spirit can be anywhere just by thought process alone if they wish they can appear to us in full phisical form so we can recognise who they were as we might not recognise them if they appear as an energy mass. Also they can show us forms of other phisical things of this world so we will recognise the event being portrayed.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

I wish Ann Bolin would appear to me in that form:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A spirit or ghost if you wish is not an imprint of our soul but it is the supernatural energy of the person who's phisical body is dead and that spirit can be anywhere just by thought process alone if they wish they can appear to us in full phisical form so we can recognise who they were as we might not recognise them if they appear as an energy mass. Also they can show us forms of other phisical things of this world so we will recognise the event being portrayed.:eek:
    How do you know all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Dave! wrote: »
    How do you know all this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost

According to traditional belief, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person, taken to be capable of appearing in visible form or otherwise manifesting itself to the living. Descriptions of the apparition of ghosts vary widely: the mode of manifestation can range from an invisible presence to translucent or wispy shapes, to realistic, life-like visions.

I think thats reasonably the same as what vampire of Kilmainham was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thats a 'traditional belief' - doesnt really have much backing in the real world. Plus as far as ghosts and the paranormal goes, its only one suggested explaination.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

maccored wrote: »
    thats a 'traditional belief' - doesnt really have much backing in the real world. Plus as far as ghosts and the paranormal goes, its only one suggested explaination.

True.
    I think its a good explaination tho.

thats a 'traditional belief' - doesnt really have much backing in the real world.

Either does any theory about "ghosts" or do the people who investigate "ghosts" or really anything to do with paranormal investigations...

thats a bit of a weird thing to say, considering 'research' involves trying to find out reasons for apparent paranormal activity - it doesnt really involve a 'belief'. Can you explain what you mean to me a bit clearer?

thats a bit of a weird thing to say, considering 'research' involves trying to find out reasons for apparent paranormal activity - it doesnt really involve a 'belief'. Can you explain what you mean to me a bit clearer?

Well if all paranormal activity cant be explained as natural phenomenon then there isn't really such thing as the paranormal and lets face it after a fair few decades of paranormal research and not one piece of evidence its probably likely that most paranormal activity is just the wind, dust particles ect. In order to be paranormal investigator should the "paranormal" not exist?

So I wouldnt condemn anyone who believes in a theory without scientific proof when people "investigate" apparent paranormal activity when its probable that there is no such thing.

Its really all just definitions ect. Just an observation. Like should one not be called "An investigator of unexplained physics" as it removes the paranormal aspect of it all together if the paranormal has really very little to do with heat convection and doors moving or psychological anthropomorphism ect.

Meh Ghost hunting ftw imo.

• Advertisement

arent you missing the point though that none of us know what the paranormal is about therefore we cant say that spirits are this that and the other. The point I was raising is that as we dont know what the story is (which is where the research comes in), we cant make any definitive claims either way at this stage of the game. That's the skeptical view point. I wouldnt say ghosts definitely dont exist as I dont know. I also wouldnt stake a claim that they do exist.

On the other hand, if you're talking about ghost hunting ..well, that's a business these days isnt it?

Advertisement