Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holes in leaves of new planted trees (pics attached)

Options
  • 08-05-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

Last week, I planted 3 trees in my garden, which I bought in a garden center:
    • a Japanese maple tree
    • a plum
    • a cherry blossom tree
    See attached photo for an idea of the garden context (garden.jpg)

Just one week after planting the trees, I have realised the Japanese maple tree and the plum leaves are really damaged by holes (see pictures attached). Also, as can be seen in the pics, some of the maple tree leaves and the plum branches have whitened.

I am new into gardening but this looks worrying to me

Is this due to pests? If yes, what it the solution?
    Please help me and the trees :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Most likely it's being eaten by aphids or some other insects. Maples often get aphids since they like to eat the new buds. I would get an insect spray and spray the plants lightly (including under the leaves). But read the lable so as not to do any damage to the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Thank , I will look for a spray to see what happens.

The maple tree is losing a lot of leaves. Can that also be due to insects/aphids..?

I rang the garden center and they told me that it needs a lot of water when planted. However, it rained madly for a week when planted. They mentioned that even in the case of rain, you should water the plants manually in order to get to the roots.
    I have difficulties to understand that; why would rain water with all its power and might will not reach the roots?

The other problem might be the soil type. However, i was told by the garden center that soil problems do not manifest that quickly

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Could certainly be aphids, check the underside of the leaves for small white insects. In the case of the maple leaves dropping I would agree with the garden centre, it is due to lack of water. Just looking at your photos your garden appears to be very sheltered and any heavy rain may be driven over the top by wind. You also have huge trees in the background which would be sucking water from your soil. I would suggest at least a watering can of water every couple of days applied close to the stem. A tip I got a few years back and which I have found very effective, is to cut the base off a 2 litre coke bottle and bury the bottle with the top close to the roots and the base just above soil level. This allows you to send water directly to the roots. Whether this is feasible in your case I can't say but if the maple is allowed to dry out it will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

I think that the maple is getting better :)

Much more water as you suggested have helped the tree to recover gradually from the shock of getting used to the new place.

Still looks much worse than we got it from the garden center. However, new leaves are emerging from the top, quite pale leaves but at least is evolving I think

Thanks to all

Advertisement