Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding!!

Options
  • 08-05-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

I think i was just done for speeding! i was going 65kmh in a 60 zone. just driving past the spawell...its the spot at the bus shelter for all who know the area. sneaky whooer!! as i passed him he took the gun and pointed it down to the ground!! so im nearly sure im the guilty party. they're always there in fairness i simply wasn't thinking. im just wondering what the consequences are points? or a fine? or both?? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If your speedo said 65 then chances are you were only barely going over 60, if at all. I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

If it was a Garda checking the speed with a hand held speed gun, I am pretty sure they have to stop you to show the speed and get your details. Could be wrong though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

you are allowed 10% over the speed limit eg 66 in a 60 so you are ok:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I thought to be caught with the speed guns you had to be stopped as the gun only records the speed and not the car reg etc (unless it was one of the video camera ones but they're normally set up on tripods rather than hand held).
    bmw535d wrote: »
    That only applies to BMW drivers. It similar to being allowed to park on double yellows and disabled spaces.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

what freaked me out was...as i drove past he took the gun away from on coming traffic and pointed it down as though he was keying in my details or something..ive never seen them stop anyone on this stretch of road either...its always just the one guy hiding behind the bus shelter. i was definately only 5 kmh over the limit and its downhill!!! so hopefully you guys are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nozebleed wrote: »
    and its downhill!!!
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I think i was just done for speeding! i was going 65kmh in a 60 zone. just driving past the spawell...its the spot at the bus shelter for all who know the area. sneaky whooer!! as i passed him he took the gun and pointed it down to the ground!! so im nearly sure im the guilty party. they're always there in fairness i simply wasn't thinking. im just wondering what the consequences are points? or a fine? or both?? thanks.
    That's a 50 zone :D (assuming you were driving towards town and not into Tallaght)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

If you werent stopped your fine

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Handheld & Not Stopped= No Problem

Tri-pod = Fvcked!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

I thought to be caught with the speed guns you had to be stopped as the gun only records the speed and not the car reg etc (unless it was one of the video camera ones but they're normally set up on tripods rather than hand held).

That only applies to BMW drivers. It similar to being allowed to park on double yellows and disabled spaces.:D

or you could tone down your prejudice and read the relevant laws and see you are in fact allowed a 10% difference, this is to compensate for uncalibrated speedo's on most cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

or you could tone down your prejudice and read the relevant laws and see you are in fact allowed a 10% difference, this is to compensate for uncalibrated speedo's on most cars.

I think it was just a joke :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

draffodx wrote: »
    I think it was just a joke :D;):p

If he even owned a bmw that'd be another story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Please reference which laws state you are legally allowed to drive up to 10% over the speed limit as you claim:.
    you are allowed 10% over the speed limit eg 66 in a 60 so you are ok

I think you're confusing the indicated speed on the speedometer with the speed limit. Speedometers can show up to 10% higher than the true speed, but that doesn't mean the limit is 10% higher than posted on the roadsigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

That's a 50 zone :D (assuming you were driving towards town and not into Tallaght)

It is a 60 km/h zone, until after the Spawell Roundabout, where the speed goes down to 50 km/h.

If you come off the M50, the 60 km/h sign is on the off ramp, and then there is no other speed signs untill after the Spawell Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yeah, i was driving toward town...i wouldn't mind i was only going to the garage to pump up the tyres,i wanted to use the new digital automatic air pump opposite the pitch and putt course instead of the ****ty air pumps at the topaz station in tallaght!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

P.C. wrote: »
    It is a 60 km/h zone, until after the Spawell Roundabout, where the speed goes down to 50 km/h.

I'm assuming this is where the OP is referring to.

Advertisement