Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was this a speed camera?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I caught a double flash coming out of Baltinglas today, but the flash was from the front, not the back, into my eyes. I always thought speed cameras flashed you from behind.

Would this have been a speed camera?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

darren1980 wrote: »
    I caught a double flash coming out of Baltinglas today, but the flash was from the front, not the back, into my eyes. I always thought speed cameras flashed you from behind.

Would this have been a speed camera?

The new GATSO vans, Robot vans, detect speed from either front or behind. This was the flash you more than likely saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 darren1980

The new GATSO vans, Robot vans, detect speed from either front or behind. This was the flash you more than likely saw.

Damn. Nearly blinded me too. If the flash had caused an accident, could I have sued?

Damn. Nearly blinded me too. If the flash had caused an accident, could I have sued?

Im sure you could sue.....winning the case would be another story though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Prob not because their arguement is that you were speeding which caused it to flash...

SARASON wrote: »
    Prob not because their arguement is that you were speeding which caused it to flash...

O....didnt think of that one!!! If I did to use the thing I would use that arguement......but alass I seem to refuse to use it everytime!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

two wrongs dont make a right !!

on a technicality - in theory - regardless of your speed if the flash caused you to loose control and crash ....and you can prove that this was the only factor involved in a resulting crash you would be able to sue and possibly challenge the ability of the Gardai to place Speed camera/Gatzo's which flash in front of a vehicle.

it could be argued that its dangerous - but if you are the kind of person that looses control from a flash - how would you react to a child/dog/adult running across the road in front of you....or any other unexpected thing like a cyclist around a bend?

PCPhoto wrote: »
    two wrongs dont make a right !!

on a technicality - in theory - regardless of your speed if the flash caused you to loose control and crash ....and you can prove that this was the only factor involved in a resulting crash you would be able to sue and possibly challenge the ability of the Gardai to place Speed camera/Gatzo's which flash in front of a vehicle.

it could be argued that its dangerous - but if you are the kind of person that looses control from a flash - how would you react to a child/dog/adult running across the road in front of you....or any other unexpected thing like a cyclist around a bend?

Well you would want some legal team as you would be challenging the state.. Allthough when certain tv programmes are about to air you are often told the programme contains flashing images so maybe someone could be blinded by it. What if they crashed in to the gatso van as a result;);). Figure that one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 darren1980

PCPhoto wrote: »

When you're driving, you expect cyclists and pedestrians and dogs, you watch out for the behaviour of other drivers and road users. But you don't expect bright lights to be flashed into your eyes, just as you don't expect naked men to fall from the sky. If a naked man fell from the sky in front of me, I probably would not react as quickly as I would if a child ran out in front of me. And neither would most drivers - good and bad.

Accusing me of being a poor driver because a flash startled me is just being silly and argumentative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Crazy Taxi

I've been flashed by one of them bloody vans on the stillorgan dualler, I'm in the inside lane keeping to 60 and the middle and outer lane are taking part in the usual Saturday night taxi grand prix. The flash is seriously distracting and I don't know how its allowed legally. I mean, if I stood at the side of the road and flashed a laser or very bright light at motorists I'd probably be arrested on some charge or other. Then again, we all know the Gatso vans aren't about improving road safety anyway.

When you're driving, you expect cyclists and pedestrians and dogs, you watch out for the behaviour of other drivers and road users. But you don't expect bright lights to be flashed into your eyes, just as you don't expect naked men to fall from the sky. If a naked man fell from the sky in front of me, I probably would not react as quickly as I would if a child ran out in front of me. And neither would most drivers - good and bad.

Accusing me of being a poor driver because a flash startled me is just being silly and argumentative.

I assume that it was dark (or else a falsh would barely be seen)

Couldnt a flash come from a parked car......?? Street light blowing a bulb???

Be aware for everything......and if your driving through a town maybe someday a naked man might jump infront of you!!! Everything is possible.

• Advertisement

Well you would want some legal team as you would be challenging the state.. Allthough when certain tv programmes are about to air you are often told the programme contains flashing images so maybe someone could be blinded by it. What if they crashed in to the gatso van as a result;);). Figure that one:)

its not because people might be blinded - its because flash photography...or a flashing images can cause epileptic seizures.

challenging the state is done all the time - more often than not common sense prevails, but there are occasions where a legal challenge forces the state to ammend laws (have a look at the UCK - unlawful carnal knowledge - cases, the "C" case which basically changed laws about having sex with minors - and even the change to the laws were challenged when a teenage couple were in court - the boy charged with statutory rape while the girl doesnt get charged at all - both aged 15 I believe)

If a naked man fell from the sky in front of me, I probably would not react as quickly as I would if a child ran out in front of me.

Lad youll put pat short out of business with quotes like that:D

I didnt accuse you of being a "poor driver" - you asked could a person who crashed as a result of the "flashes" have a case against the state - I said in theory they could have a case to take - but it would be very difficult to prove that this was the only factor which was directly responsible for the crash.

its possible that it could result in a crash - but to be fair - if someone crashed a car because of a flash - they would need to consider their own ability - (if a flash was so distracting/powerful that they lost concentration or were temporarily blinded - and then crashed - they would have a stronger arguement - but proving the strength of the flash would be nearly impossible)

I assume that it was dark (or else a falsh would barely be seen)

Couldnt a flash come from a parked car......?? Street light blowing a bulb???

Be aware for everything......and if your driving through a town maybe someday a naked man might jump infront of you!!! Everything is possible.

Your dead right;)article-1269007800847-08C83831000005DC-502719_636x326.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you were close enough to the camera van to be blinded by the flash and you still hadn't noticed the van then i'm afraid i'd have to question your observation skills.:)

Crazy Taxi wrote: »
    I've been flashed by one of them bloody vans on the stillorgan dualler, I'm in the inside lane keeping to 60 and the middle and outer lane are taking part in the usual Saturday night taxi grand prix. The flash is seriously distracting and I don't know how its allowed legally. I mean, if I stood at the side of the road and flashed a laser or very bright light at motorists I'd probably be arrested on some charge or other.
    if this can be proven then by all means take a legal challenge - I'm sure the gardai would argue that of the many road users that go past the "flash" .... the percentage distracted would be negligable.
    Then again, we all know the Gatso vans aren't about improving road safety anyway.
    I cant disagree with you on that one - I would prefer more gardai out there and extra gardai doing checkpoints and confiscating out of tax/uninsured vehicles.....I'd be in favour of more enforcement of the rules - stopping/fining people for breaking the lights, driving wrong way up one-way streets, illegal U-turns.

Dont get me wrong - I occasionally break some of the traffic laws and have noticed others (including gardai and other emergency services) do the same - which is one of the problems on our roads today - because there isnt "constant" enforcement people break the laws....the gardai are under staffed and restricted, motorists know that theres usually a "clampdown" at bank holidays and christmas.... which means the rest of the year is fair game !!

Advertisement