Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van drivers - are you constantly targeted?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

I'm writing this just to see how other van drivers feel, particularly those of you who are tradespeople.

Are your vans constantly targeted by thieves? I am absolutely sick of this. My OH's van is targeted on a very regular basis and although there is nothing in it to be stolen overnight, a beautiful, very well kept van is being destroyed by regular attempts to get into it.

It has no signage and nothing else about it suggests that it may have equipment in it, save for a roof rack it has on the top.

It has an alarm also but it doesn't seem to prevent them from going after it. The worst part is that just this week an attempt was made to steal from it WHILE WE WERE IN A HARDWARE STORE!!!! :eek::eek: In broad daylight!!

We are well aware that it probably has a lot to do with the location we live in and certain types of little, how can I say this, nackers that live around the place, but is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If its empty leave the load bay unlocked and at least your van wont get damaged....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

corktina wrote: »
    If its empty leave the load bay unlocked and at least your van wont get damaged....

Not my van, the OHs, and although it's empty, the whole inside of it is kitted out with shelving and I would imagine they would destroy that.

Also, I'm not 100% but I think once you unlock the van, it's all unlocked then, thus a lot easier to rob full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

peanuthead wrote: »
    Not my van, the OHs, and although it's empty, the whole inside of it is kitted out with shelving and I would imagine they would destroy that.

Also, I'm not 100% but I think once you unlock the van, it's all unlocked then, thus a lot easier to rob full stop.

Plus its an offence to leave a vehicle unlocked in this country.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

didn't actually know that, just thought it was stupid :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Plus another thing, you'll have a hard job explaining to the insurance company how the theives got in without forcing entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

why? what a totally random, bizarre and pointless law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I thought that would be obvious. It's to help prevent opportunistic theft, just like it's illegal to leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I thought that would be obvious. It's to help prevent opportunistic theft, just like it's illegal to leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running.

i thought that was only in england?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

When does it become an offence? does it have to be observed for a set period of time before its deemed an offence, or is it an offence as soon as a Guard spots an unlocked vehicle?
    One crazy law!!!!

• Advertisement

My van is old, a 96 transit but it often has valueable equipiment in it, ive fitted security locks on all the doors and so far no one has touched it. Vans have been targeted in my area but my tranny has not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Vans have been targeted in my area but my tranny has not.

To be fair, the dick usually puts them off.

mikom wrote: »
    To be fair, the dick usually puts them off.
    Had to read that twice before the penny dropped!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

When does it become an offence? does it have to be observed for a set period of time before its deemed an offence, or is it an offence as soon as a Guard spots an unlocked vehicle?
    One crazy law!!!!

Why would it be a crazy law?? Its to prevent unauthorised taking of an MPV. No set time.....minutes/seconds will do......again common sense comes into play here.

See here

ROAD TRAFFIC (CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND USE OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.

87. (1) Where a vehicle as allowed to remain stationary on a public road, the driver shall not, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, leave the vehicle unattended unless—

(a) the engine of the vehicle is not running,

(b) where the engine is contained in a separate portion of the vehicle capable of being closed, such portion is closed, and

(c) where the vehicle is fitted under article 31 of these Regulations with a door or doors capable of being locked or with a device for preventing unauthorised driving, such door, doors or device is or are locked so as to prevent the vehicle being driven, and, where appropriate, the key of the door, doors or device is removed from the vehicle.

Please note part C. There has been several incidents of prosecution for this but normally accompanies a summons for leaving keys in the ignition. reserved normally for those who A, leave there new born in the car while the "jump" into the shop or B, people who leave it unlock so that it IS robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Why would it be a crazy law?? Its to prevent unauthorised taking of an MPV. No set time.....minutes/seconds will do......again common sense comes into play here.

See here
    ROAD TRAFFIC (CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND USE OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.

87. (1) Where a vehicle as allowed to remain stationary on a public road, the driver shall not, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, leave the vehicle unattended unless—

(a) the engine of the vehicle is not running,

(b) where the engine is contained in a separate portion of the vehicle capable of being closed, such portion is closed, and

(c) where the vehicle is fitted under article 31 of these Regulations with a door or doors capable of being locked or with a device for preventing unauthorised driving, such door, doors or device is or are locked so as to prevent the vehicle being driven, and, where appropriate, the key of the door, doors or device is removed from the vehicle.

Please note part C. There has been several incidents of prosecution for this but normally accompanies a summons for leaving keys in the ignition. reserved normally for those who A, leave there new born in the car while the "jump" into the shop or B, people who leave it unlock so that it IS robbed.

I understood this law only applies to trucks, tractors and JCB type equipment.

Having said that, any law that requires a person to do anything they don't want to do is an infringement of that persons rights. Laws should be written to protect us from others, not ourselves. The reason legislation like this exists is simple. There are little or no property rights in this country. My car gets stolen and the piece of crap who took it gets off with a caution, or worse, a warning because he's "underprivileged". In America stealing a car is a felony, and so many people dont even need to lock their cars.

If I want to jump into the shop and leave my kids in the car, that IS my right. They're MY kids, it's MY car.

Was this sort of nonsense drawn up in the hope that car crime wouldn't happen?
    This is the type of legislation that could one day lead to the criminalisation of people who become victims of crime. This is lazy legislation that goes no way toward dealing with the issue of cars being stolen.

Any sane person will lock their car every time they get out of it, but that should be their choice and should never be enforced by the rule of law.

/Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Never had trouble myself. Maybe the signwriting on mine helps though if they see I just do "man with a van" stuff so wouldn't be keeping anything in it ever.

See here

Has anyone been in court for leaving their vehicle unlocked?

Advertisement