Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Merc V6 and V8 engines

Options
  • 08-05-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Not relevant for this country because we must be the most disinterested nation in Europe when it comes to cars and love our poverty spec boggo 4 pot diesels(which in Mercs case are failing at an alarming rate because the injectors in the new CDI engines are pure junk and have an almighty failure rate), but nice to know Merc are still pushing on with better 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

The new S350 does 37 mpg, quite spectacular for a non hybrid petrol engined car(when I saw 37 mpg for a 3.5 V6 I assumed it was diesel but it is not) of that size.

The new 4.6 V8 S500 is under the 2,100 tax band as well, only 1,050 tax a year(same as the current diesel S350 so that is some advance on the old engine), which is nice, we can now have a V8 petrol panzerwagon and not have to give the vegetables 2,100 a year in tax:D.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/249475/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Not relevant for this country because we must be the most disinterested nation in Europe when it comes to cars and love our poverty spec boggo 4 pot diesels(which in Mercs case are failing at an alarming rate because the injectors in the new CDI engines are pure junk and have an almighty failure rate), but nice to know Merc are still pushing on with better 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

The new S350 does 37 mpg, quite spectacular for a non hybrid petrol engined car(when I saw 37 mpg for a 3.5 V6 I assumed it was diesel but it is not) of that size.

The new 4.6 V8 S500 is under the 2,100 tax band as well, only 1,050 tax a year(same as the current diesel S350 so that is some advance on the old engine), which is nice, we can now have a V8 petrol panzerwagon and not have to give the vegetables 2,100 a year in tax:D.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/249475/

HMMMM does that mean the e350 is useless so in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The new 4.6 V8 S500 is under the 2,100 tax band as well, only 1,050 tax a year
    And with 429bhp, that is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yeah, looks like it has set the standard for V8 engines, makes a mockery of BMW's V8 judging by the spec(never thought I'd say that before), the emissions in the 3.5 V6 petrol are better than their V6 diesel which makes the diesel utterly redundant, I presume that Merc will have a new V6 diesel soon(though it would be nice if they could sort out the injectors in the BE 4 cylinder diesels first of all, which are nothing short of disasterous), the 4 pot diesel has got almost the same power but superior economy which makes it doubly pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

we can now have a V8 petrol panzerwagon and not have to give the vegetables 2,100 a year in tax

To be honest, I'd rather pick up a 2006 or 2007 W221 S500 for a third of the price of a new one. You'd be a long time making up the €80k you'd save on a new one in a lower tax band ;)

I will concede that it is inherently satisfying to hear that engineers have trumped tax regs that were meant to put an end to powerful V8s though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Impressive figures indeed but at this stage in this country, anything with a petrol engine above 1.4 litres is'nt even looked at, or even offered in many cases

• Advertisement

I will concede that it is inherently satisfying to hear that engineers have trumped tax regs that were meant to put an end to powerful V8s though :pac:
    The tax regs were intended to force engineers to cut CO2 emissions, I find it inherently satisfying to hear that they've managed to do it without power losses.;)

They did have to give up natual aspiration though:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

it doesnt make a mockery of bmw naturally aspirated v8 engines eg the m3's 4.2 v8 with 420 bhp.thats 100bhp per litre.merc are making that with a 4.6and a supercharger bolted on...merc on the catch up game if you ask me same with the likes of the 530d, 245bhp frm that and 243 from the similar 3.0 diesal v6 merc.

wheres the mockery?

and for economy? name the 3.0 diesal merc that does 57mpg?

i have pictures of a 530d doing an average of 57mpg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

bmw535d wrote: »
    it doesnt make a mockery of bmw naturally aspirated v8 engines eg the m3's 4.2 v8 with 420 bhp.thats 100bhp per litre.merc are making that with a 4.6and a supercharger bolted on...merc on the catch up game if you ask me same with the likes of the 530d, 245bhp frm that and 243 from the similar 3.0 diesal v6 merc.

wheres the mockery?

and for economy? name the 3.0 diesal merc that does 57mpg?

You mean you have seen a computer saying a 530d was doing 57 mpg. And what way was he driving? I could get a picture of my 156 doing 85mpg as well. doesnt mean it's accurate.

it doesnt make a mockery of bmw naturally aspirated v8 engines eg the m3's 4.2 v8 with 420 bhp.thats 100bhp per litre.merc are making that with a 4.6and a supercharger bolted on...
    Two turbochargers, it isn't supercharged. In any case, specific output doesn't matter here. The point is that the MB does it while only putting out 224g/km of CO2, whereas the BMW puts out what, 290g/km? And that in the much lighter 3 series. That's a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Downhill, 60 mph tail wind and no throttle, right?

I was actually thinking about BMW's twin turbo V8, the NA V8 is a competitor to the AMG 6.2 V8(which will soon be replaced by a twin turbo 5.5 V8).

But lets do a comparison of the new Merc V8 with the 750i, shall we?

BMW - 407 hp
    Merc - 429 hp
    BMW - 443 lb ft
    Merc - 516 lb ft

So clearly the Merc V8 engine has the edge here, especially torque which is what is most important in a big luxobarge, not an engine that delivers 420 hp at 8,400 rpm.

But it's the economy and emissions that the Merc delivers the killer blow.

BMW - 24.8 mpg
    Merc - 29.1 mpg, or in plain English the Merc is 17% better, in fact it is so much better that it uses less fuel than a BMW 740i which is only a 6 cylinder and is 1.6 litres smaller, don't get me wrong BMW does some great engines but Merc will soon clearly have much better 6 and 8 cylinder engines than BMW's offerings.

The Merc will escape 2,100 road tax, the BMW doesn't, that's quite an important difference in this country, anything in VRT band G is a complete write off now especially that even V8 petrols are managing to get around it in some cases.

PS - the M3's V8 is a 4.0 not a 4.2:).

Advertisement