Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Hymer B544 from the UK <3Ton?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I have been trawling the VRT posts here, but am still not 100% sure if I will end up paying the over 3000kg small fixed charge or the sub 3000kg extortionary rate.

Am I right in thinking if the empty (ie none of my stuff on board, but with fuel and water,gas) campervan shows up as 3001kg or more on a weigh bridge I am home free?

I am looking at 95-98 model B544 (ie the A type, not coach built) with as much extra stuff as possible (e.g. moped carriers, extra batteries etc.) to bring up the weight.
    Are some of the B544 built on different chassis (if so I can look for the heavier one).?

Also anything else about them I should be looking out for?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

the motorhome has to be empty of clean and waste water , and of gas also . No personal stuff in the presses either . I'm fairly sure the B544 is unde the weight , about 200 kilos IIRC .

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Thanks for the info Aidan. Didn't realise it had to be empty of water and gas.
    What about stuff like moped racks etc. Can they be included in the weight and would it be enough to push it over the limit.

Otherwise will look for a plan B, as don't fancy paying VRT based on the mythical 'open market selling price'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

glad to help . Bolted on motorbike racks are alowed , most of 'em weigh about 75 kilos .

Re the OMSP...welcome to my world! We have given them thousands over and above what they shoulda got..

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Looks like the B544 is a non-runner on the 3000kg mark.

B654 looks like it is definitely over the 3000kg (and I think under the 3500kg license limit). Prices look similar in UK to the 544s.

As this will be the first campervan I will be driving myself I was hoping for something a bit more compact. Plus I reckon it will cost more on ferries/diesel etc. So will either look for a B544 in Ireland, or else go with the 654... Unless there is something else like the 544 which is over the 3000kg.

I have seen S555 advertised, seems the same as the 544 on a mercedes chassis. Gross Plated Weight is listed as 3200kg, which I am guessing means that its unladen weight is well under 3000kg?

I am thinking 544 better suits my requirements and that the 654 might be a bit much to handle? Is there much of a difference between driving the two?

Advertisement