Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Electrical Cable for Motorhome

Options
  • 08-05-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just bought my first motorhome and need to buy an electrical cable to hook electricity up to mains. I have been to an electrical wholesalers where I can buy the 2 sockets and a length of cable to place in between. I will have to arrange putting all 3 together myself. There are a number of sizes of cable to choose from, 3*6, 3*4 and 3*2.5.

Can anyone advise on which size of cable to go for? Or even better, can anyone advise on places to buy motorhome cables that are already assembled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

We sell them . 067 21123 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I am sure they sell them in Halfords. Otherwise the blue outdoor cable (cant remember what the proper name is) is what I used.I think it worked out about the same price as buying one that's already made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Blue is arctic cable hituf is better, avoid SY braided cable lots of people use it - but lots of it is not rated for outdoor use.

With regard to cable size it depends on the length and what you're running off it. If you look at the rating of your main breaker and decide what the maximum length you want is you can work it out from there.

I don't imagine you'll be buying 6mm unless you plan on doing a spot of welding or running a domestic electric shower or running 100m extension cable to the other side of the campsite.

In any case I highly doubt you'll come accross many/any campsites offering more than 16amps. I've seen lots that are set at something pityful like 6 or 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I don't imagine you'll be buying 6mm unless you plan on doing a spot of welding or running a domestic electric shower or running 100m extension cable to the other side of the campsite.
    lol - well you never know could be a race van.. regardless - do not have it coiled up on a reel when using it... especially when welding - Fire hazard.

if buying in bits check price of cable.. B+Q were not cheap.. Dunno about Halfords either..

try & buy from an Irish shop.. keep the money in the country for a week or two..

have a look at the circuit breaker in the camper, should be 16/20 amp. & your local electrician will rate cable accordingly.. if you tell him what your using in the camper - kettle, micro, tv, LHC..

I use a shielded cable, as cable runs a distance on the tarmac at home when plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

In the off chance your in kerry theres a shop in tralee on the manor west roundabout (an outdoor pursuits shop)...i forgot the name.
    They were half price in there the other day. ~15€ i think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I made up two connectors for either end of my bog-standard cable drum with outdoor spec sockets and the blue connectors.
    For the little bit of current that my camper draws that's perfectly fine plus it's neat and tidy, easy to store and the drum can be used for other purposes at home as well.
    Probably violates umpteen electrical standards but has worked fine for me this way for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

martyc5674 wrote: »
    In the off chance your in kerry theres a shop in tralee on the manor west roundabout (an outdoor pursuits shop)...i forgot the name.
    They were half price in there the other day. ~15€ i think

Landers is the place i was thinking of.
    Marty.

Advertisement