Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

passat 2001 tdi no power

Options
  • 08-05-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

posting this on behalf of my neighbor who has a 2001 VW passat 1.9tdi and he's having a lot of bother with it.

recently the turbo blew and was replaced by a 2nd hand unit which ran fine for a short while.

Now there is no power in the car until its up in 3rd or 4th and revs are high. he has had the car checked over with no error codes and the emissions are fine and there are no vacuum leaks.

the mechanic did mention that he thought the exhaust pressure under full revs was lower than he would normally have expected , aprtially blocked exhaust maybe ??.

Also the AMM has been changed for a known good one and still no joy.

any idea's of where to go next as the mechanic has gone as far as he can

tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

did you try the mass air flow meter?

it went on my friends 01 passat and it had no power how ever it was very easy on diesal at the time to if your friends passat is very easy on diesel eg 60mpg it could be the maf..

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi bmw535d,

yes the maf has been swapped and there was no difference.

regards

brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

only other thing i can think of is the car is going into limp mode because the vanes on the turbo can open/close properly due to being suited up.

this is a big fix involving taking apart the turbo and cleaning the vanes.
    Ive seen it happening on an 06 gttdi 2.0 140bhp golf.every time you floored it it would go into limp mode because the car sensed the vanes weren't opening/closing fast enough.

the cause of this may be due to injector seals that are f**ked.
    this causes oil to get into the diesel which eventually clogs up everything including the turbo vanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Check the wastegate pipe, I was full sure there was nothing wrong with the pipe till 'I replaced it.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Also check N75 valve, this regulates vacuu to the wastegate valve. If this solenoid is stuck open, all your boost pressurised air will be geting dumped out the exhaut. A diagnostic check would usually highlight any faukts with this. Is there any sign of excessive soot/oil in the inlet tract piping?

• Advertisement
Advertisement