Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car in UK need advice

Options
  • 08-05-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just needed a few pointers looking to pick up a car next weekend or sometime within the next fortnight to be used in the UK.

If its a trade buy then that's fine but if I buy privately what's the usua; process is it the same as home, sign the Registration Cert and post it off, I'm obviously going to to do the usual steps of get a mechanic to check the car out.

What the usual haggle margin be also looking at cars around 2.5k-3k, would I be able to knock a couple of hundred off for a cash deal?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The absolute essentials when buying in the uk are a full RAC/HPI check and a full, verified, service history. You'll need to take the full V5 with you to register the car here on your return, don't fill it in and don't let the seller keep it. The margin, as always, is a function of how competitively-priced the car is in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

1 cash is king....make a stupid offer first off to test the ground...might get accepted!

2 HPI check essential...assume UK bods are all crooks (i can say that as I am one:P)*

3 Bring the V5C as said. Correct procedure is for seller to write to the DVLA and tell them its been exported.This is on their website if they don't beleive you.

4 for a cheap car I wouldn't be so concerned about the service history so long as it passes an inspection by someone experianced.

5. Ensure you have tax MoT and Insurance before driving on UK roads otherwise you could well get it seized.

*Uk bod not crook...(discuss)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

corktina wrote: »
    4 for a cheap car I wouldn't be so concerned about the service history so long as it passes an inspection by someone experianced.
    I'd be the same, were the car local. For a UK car, though, I wouldn't book tickets until I was as sure as I can be that the car is right. This approach may mean missing some good cars, but i've never travelled and come home without the car either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Guys it wont be for export, I live over here so will be used here.

Thanks for the responses so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Am i being a bit pedantic....for the purposes of an irish forum, you don't live over here...you live over there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement