Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immersion Heating Costs

• 08-05-2010 12:41pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved into a 3-bed house. The immersion heater control is a Horstmann Quartz E7, which seems to have got some good feedback on these boards.

However, I'm wondering if it's expensive to run. It heats water for 4.5 hours each night and it seems this can only be reduced to 4. This seems an excessive amount of time - I had enough hot water after 1.5 hours eating in my previous place. Additionally, I've an electric shower which would remove much of the need for this hot water in the morning.

Has anyone got some rough figures as to how much this will cost me? The immersion itself is standard size and I'm on the NightSaver ESB tariff. Would I be better off using the boost, even if it'd run in day mode?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Electricity costs twice as much during the day, so it would not make sense to use the boost feature. Just because the timer is energised for 4 hours at night this does not mean that the immersion is comsuming energy for the entire 4 hours. Once the cylinder is hot a thermostat shuts off the immersion so if you are not using a lot of hot water and the cylinder is well insulated it will reheat in less than 4 hours. I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What we need to figure out is, how much 1 unit of electricity costs, and how many units it costs to heat a standard hot water cylinder (Appr0x 125L) from rough 10C to 60C, and keep it heated at that top temp.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What we need to figure out is, how much 1 unit of electricity costs, and how many units it costs to heat a standard hot water cylinder (Appr0x 125L) from rough 10C to 60C, and keep it heated at that top temp.
    And how do we determine that? :) I mean we can get the electric output of the element (I think it's 3.8kw).

Of course I could have looked at the ESB appliance calculator. I'm assuming its default mode is standard rate. It reckons €82 for 2 months for a 120L tank (incl. standing charges). So since I'd be on night-tariffs, I'm guessing closer to €50 which isn't too bad.

Advertisement