Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hissing ball cock .

• 08-05-2010 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi there
    moved into the house about 5 years ago and there was always a hissing noise from the water tank up in the attic after the toilet was flushed ,taps ran ...etc...
    to tackle this i swapped out the old ball cock for a new one ...no joy ....
    it is fine as it is filling up but as it comes to the end of the fill a loud hissing noise is heard throughout the house .
    any ideas on how to cure this as it is starting to bug both me and my pregnant girlfriend ...prolly me more so than her .....for now !

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

normal in any house when the tank is filling, its filing from the mains supply which runs through your house and as the ball cock closes the pressure biulds up in the pipe and causes this noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

normal in any house when the tank is filling, its filing from the mains supply which runs through your house and as the ball cock closes the pressure biulds up in the pipe and causes this noise.

Exactly.... I have read many solutions and none of them wash with me... Believe it or not its actually a sign of good water pressure as the hissing is a result of the water being squeezed off....

Get a tight fitting tank lid and cover it in insulation... Dont cover under it...

I will be amazed if you noticed....

As for the girlfriend... wait till the baby starts keeping you both awake at night.... you will sleep through anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭scartman1

hi there
    moved into the house about 5 years ago and there was always a hissing noise from the water tank up in the attic after the toilet was flushed ,taps ran ...etc...
    to tackle this i swapped out the old ball cock for a new one ...no joy ....
    it is fine as it is filling up but as it comes to the end of the fill a loud hissing noise is heard throughout the house .
    any ideas on how to cure this as it is starting to bug both me and my pregnant girlfriend ...prolly me more so than her .....for now !

thanks in advance

As the other posters have indicated it is to do with the pressure in the mains, but it can be fixed. A good plumber should solve it. Basically the humming that you are hearing is a resonance in the ball cock when it is closing. A better quality ball cock will solve it, or simply putting a larger ball or shorter /longer arm on the float should do the trick. Sometimes the resonance can get into the copper pipes and take the humming through out the house. This humming can be broken if you change a lenght of the copper pipe for some qualplex pipe a close to the tank as possible. But have a look at the ball cock first .
    Don't despair, it is fixable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Fit a larger ballcock, 3/4" even 1" inlet and fit a ball valve before ballcock to reduce pressure. Less pressure, larger outlet = less noise.

Advertisement