Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to blanchardstown / mulhuddart

Options
  • 08-05-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a job up in mulhuddart so im moving up there at the end of the month!

Just wondering what would be the good areas live and that? And whats the average rent? Lookin around on daft.ie and everythings €400+ or so.

Also, whats the night life like in the area? Would i be better off headin into the city for beer or stay around the area?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Avoid Ladyswell, Wellview, Drumheath, Tyrrelstown, basically anywhere up on the hill, like the plague.. You're best bet are the smaller estates like The Village Heights, Mulhuddart Woods and Saddlers.. You may want to have a look at the likes of Ashfield and Huntstown, all fairly "safe" areas IMHO..

With regards to nightlife, it's not exactly a heaving mekka for clubbing, there's one pub "Paidi Og's" it's there years and has changed hands many times over the years, I haven't been in it since it became Paidi Og's, it was closed down for a long time. There's a nightclub underneath it but I don't think that's been re-opened.

You can venture up to the Blanch Centre which is what I would usually do when out that way (my parents are living out there, I've moved on) Cocktails in TGI and then on to "Light" nightclub in the retail park, be warned though it's a very young crowd in there so depending on your age, you may be better off just hopping on the 39 into town.

Edit: forgot about The Thirsty Bull.. Here's my review of the place ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65685863&postcount=17

Not sure of rent etc in the area cause as I said I lived with my folks out there..

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Thanks for that. Ill look out for a few places round there so!

Might as well give the local scene a go too, im only 21 so ill fit in there i'd say. Unless its *very* young :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jaouharm

Best to stay away from that area alltogethet. I know of 8 people who got beaten up there at individual times. I've been in Ireland for 7 years now and I wouldn't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

jaouharm wrote: »
    Best to stay away from that area alltogethet. I know of 8 people who got beaten up there at individual times. I've been in Ireland for 7 years now and I wouldn't live there.

And I've lived here for 19 years and was never attacked once. You created an account to tell us that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've lived here for 20 years and I or anyone I know has never been attacked either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Hmmm who to believe? :-)

Jaouharm, thanks for the input but I think ill stick with the locals advice!

Looking on daft.ie and rent.ie there seems to be a good few places around and it turns out i know someone who has a room going in his apartment so i should be good for accomodation i would say!

Thank you everyone!

Now i just need to learn how to understand the accent :p /joke

im only 21 so ill fit in there i'd say. Unless its *very* young :-)
    Ah you should be grand so :)

As for people being beaten up, I also lived out that way most of my life and have never heard of anyone being randomly attacked.. Fights outside the Shanty, I have seen a few over the years but you get that everywhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ah the Shanty... the years of the kiddies disco on a Sunday, good lord...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Some of the areas listed I understand but there isn't anything wrong with Tyrrelstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

angel01 wrote: »
    Some of the areas listed I understand but there isn't anything wrong with Tyrrelstown.

Wasn't there a murder there a couple of weeks ago and I've heard or racial tension increasing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Noffles wrote: »
    Wasn't there a murder there a couple of weeks ago and I've heard or racial tension increasing....

Murders happen all over Dublin and it was a one off and one single incident, It wasn't a murder, they were charged with manslaughter. No other case of it happening before. That isn't true about racial tension increasing, I know plenty of folks that live there and love it there and have never had one single problem.

A guy was killed in Hartstown the other night, these things unfortunately happen everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do you have a car? Your main issue will be transport so I'd move to be near a train or fast bus. Especially for coming home at night from city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

personally I'd stay away form there I know people who have lived up in that general area and even if your neighbours are all grand there is still alot of trouble in the general area.I know a guy who lives around that area and he's been mugged about 4 times by travellers. To the op, I think your much better off not going up that hill, stay around huntstown etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

A guy was killed in Hartstown the other night

Who was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I live in Mulhuddart wood. I like it. We've been here for 15 years and haven't had any difficulties.
    Tyrrelstown is a lovely area. My sons goes to school there and I have several friends who live there. It's a nice community.

I'm also from Mulhuddart Wood, my parents are living there the last 20 years, my Grandparents lived up in Tyrrelstown so I am familiar with the place, that was before the new estates were built and tbh.. nice as the new houses are, you're still surrounded by the dodgy estates practically every which way you turn.

As for the school, my sister had her 2 youngest in there and she pulled them both out last year as the place is way over crowded since they merged the 2 schools together.

Also in the boys school there isn't even a PE hall for the kids so they can't do any extra curricular activities if the weather is bad? It's basically a bunch of prefabs stacked together.. I don't even know if there are plans in the pipeline for construction of a better school, my sister was on the parents committee and she never got wind of anything anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    I live in Mulhuddart wood. I like it. We've been here for 15 years and haven't had any difficulties.
    Tyrrelstown is a lovely area. My sons goes to school there and I have several friends who live there. It's a nice community.
    xzanti wrote: »
    I'm also from Mulhuddart Wood, my parents are living there the last 20 years, my Grandparents lived up in Tyrrelstown so I am familiar with the place, that was before the new estates were built and tbh.. nice as the new houses are, you're still surrounded by the dodgy estates practically every which way you turn.

As for the school, my sister had her 2 youngest in there and she pulled them both out last year as the place is way over crowded since they merged the 2 schools together.

Also in the boys school there isn't even a PE hall for the kids so they can't do any extra curricular activities if the weather is bad? It's basically a bunch of prefabs stacked together.. I don't even know if there are plans in the pipeline for construction of a better school, my sister was on the parents committee and she never got wind of anything anyway..

ahh i lived in mulhuddart woods for years, my family are still there, what part are you two from? All in all, blanchardstown/mulhuddart is fine, i do agree with staying away from tyrellstown, ladyswell etc. You're much better off in Hartstown/Huntstown, thats where i am and i love it. its so handy, close to the shopping centre, and town is a jump on a bus away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

If your planning to move to mulhuddart and you are depending on public transport you might want to think twice Dublin bus are cutting alot of services to mulhuddart including the 220 and 238 and most of the 38a's,and avoid parslickstown/dromheath/wellview at all costs

Advertisement