Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec

Options
  • 07-05-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Anyone driven one of these? I'm thinking of getting one, but feel it's a little underpowered for long journeys. I also have the feeling it might not be too fond of hills either which is something to consider living in Cork!

Would actually prefer a 1.4 petrol, but on speaking to a Ford salesman today, I'm told they no longer do 1.4 petrol, but diesel instead.

It's a toss-up between a Ford or a 207 1.4. Decisions, decisions....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Def the fiesta, the french yoke will have you in tears,
    The 1.25 is a very good engine from what I know of it, Ford developed it with yamaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

fiesta 1.25 zetec... one of best small engined cars around....
    nicemotor... reliable and very easy to live with..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah and i'm sure that motor delivers ~90hp which is impressive considering. Although that being said, if long journeys are on the cards i'd probably look for something bigger, well if your budget allowed. Focus perhaps?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Newest ones are 82bhp I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id go with the peugeot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiesta 1.25 is 82bhp. Peak torque is 114 NM @ 4200rpm

They're not as nippy as the older, lighter 90's Fiesta. If you want more poke then get the 1.4 diesel.

1.25 Petrol does 0-100 in 13.3 seconds

Even though the diesel only has 68hp - Peak torque is 160NM at a much lower 1750 rpm
    0-100 is a leisurly 14.6 seconds, but I still reckon the diesel would be better for open road driving and overtaking manouvers.

The diesel is 1000 more expensive, and is 50 quid a year less to tax.

Maybe look at something else like:

Rio 1.5 CRDI 110hp0-60 in 11.3 (15.3k)
    Ibiza 1.4 TDI 80hp and 0-60 in 13.3 (17.5k)
    Yaris 1.4 D-4D 90hp and 0-60 in 10.7 (17.5k)
    Clio 1.5 dCi 85hp and 0-60 in 12.7 (16.7k)

The Yaris is a little animal. might be a bit girly looking though?
    Corsa is available with 90PS buit nearly 20k. Mazda2 same engine as Fiesta, No diesel Colts anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Newest ones are 82bhp I think.

Owned a 97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Flight zeteck petrol engine had it for 5 years, a great little car to go. My work vehicle is a Ford Transit Connect. So I'd recommend the Ford, it's reliable and about the 3rd best seller here. Happy motoring....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the new Fiesta is a whole pile heavier than the 90's Fiesta though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Fiesta Zetec S comes with a peppy 115bhp 1.6 litre engine, only costs €156 to tax but only available in 3 door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

we took our 1.25 Fiesta to the London area...360 miles ...nice smooth ride and does 45 mpg no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Fiesta Zetec S comes with a peppy 115bhp 1.6 litre engine, only costs €156 to tax but only available in 3 door.

120bhp Bazz.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the new Fiesta is a whole pile heavier than the 90's Fiesta though.

Aye, although the new model is actually lighter than it's immediate predecessor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

id go with the peugeot

Based on what exactly? The fact it's a Pug? Insightful...

Drove one as a rental last weekend. Not a bad car but the 1.4 is seriously gutless. No torque at all in the thing. You're always in a gear lower than you want to be. To get anything you really have to rev the guts outta it and it's got the usual sh1te Pug gearbox.

The Fiesta is a better all rounder and that engine is a cracker. There's a 1.4 diesel too if you want something better for the hills. It's a little rough but will def do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ahh thanks guys!! I've been looking over the replies, and after a chat with DH, think we'll try for a Fiesta which we'll probably get either in the North or in London.

I love Peugeots and drive a 206 at the moment, which I've had for 7 years. It's reliable, but is beginning to show it's age (together with the rather large repair bill we've just paid!!). Parts are very expensive which is a little off-putting as well.

Thanks again guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's very surprising that there is no 1.4(especially as there is a 1.6), the whole point of the new VRT system is that we no longer have to go for the poverty spec entry level engine because contrary to popular opinion the larger engines are not really that much worse for economy or tax, anyone know why Ford doesn't sell it here, especially as they sold the 1.4 back in the days of the engine size system?

It is also a pity that the 1.6 TDCi isn't sold here either, but then again Ford only sells a 90 PS Focus(other than the auto or the ST/RS models) so it is not unusual for Ford to offer stupid engine options for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

corktina wrote: »
    we took our 1.25 Fiesta to the London area...360 miles ...nice smooth ride and does 45 mpg no problem.

Did they move it a bit nearer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It's very surprising that there is no 1.4(especially as there is a 1.6), the whole point of the new VRT system is that we no longer have to go for the poverty spec entry level engine because contrary to popular opinion the larger engines are not really that much worse for economy or tax, anyone know why Ford doesn't sell it here, especially as they sold the 1.4 back in the days of the engine size system?

It is also a pity that the 1.6 TDCi isn't sold here either, but then again Ford only sells a 90 PS Focus(other than the auto or the ST/RS models) so it is not unusual for Ford to offer stupid engine options for Ireland.
    The demand for a 1.4 petrol fiesta would be tiny though and they're are plenty of opinions here on that 1.4 ford engine, afaik the 1.4 in the fiesta is the same one as the focus albeit with 95 bhp over 80 which should make it a bit peppier. In the old model, the ghia model(the one with aircon as far as the buyers were concerned) was only available in 1.4 which probably explains its availability. Ford Ireland never offer engines for which there will be small demand

Advertisement