Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Ethernet

Options
  • 07-05-2010 5:36pm

I'm posting this here because I have no idea what the problem may be and nobody seems to come up with a plausible solution. Here's what's happening:

Recently bought a Samsung R530 laptop running Windows 7 (Home Premium) and for some reason it's not allowing me to use an ethernet cable whatsoever. Have tested it in college with the desktop PCs there. Took the ethernet cable from the back of one and plugged it into my laptop and it came up as limited connectivity.

Have been trying to get my xbox360 working with it, but more or less the same thing - the xbox says that it can't obtain an IP.

Since I'm new to Windows 7 I have no idea if it could be a fault of the OS or the hardware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

open a command prompt and run this;

ipconfig /all

This will display both your ethernet and Wireless network connectors and tell you what IP address they are using, if your ethernet adapter is set for DHCP
    {DHCP Enabled = yes}
    It will likely have an address in the 192.168.x.x range, this means it is working OK, try running a ping command {ping www.google.ie} see if it resolves google to its ip address of 66.102.9.104

Or it will say it is using a 169.x.x.x address, this means it is unable to get the DHCP server

Or it will say media disconnected

It is also possible that your laptop power scheme is set to turn off your Ethernet adapter to save power when the battery is low, look in the device manager to check the it is enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Could be that the college dosent use dhcp so the laptop didnt get an ip address from the college.
    Also you say you were trying to get the xp box working with it - did you connect a cable from the network port of the xbox to the network port of the laptop? this wont work and neither device has an ip addess so both need to be plugged into a router to obtain an ip address and use that address to talk to each other.
    As Bebop said try it with the laptop running on AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

The college it may have pre-registered MAC addresses for DHCP ...not every piece of hardware plugged in the network will get a ip address.If it does, i'll fire the IT staff ! ! Limited connectivity means that hardware is ok (ethernet and cable) but dhcp server is off/not configured or your nic not registered with them

The connection between laptop and xbox needs to be done with a special cable called " cross-over" or use a switch/router.Also,a router will give ip addresses if the function dhcp server is enabled on it.If you don't have a router (i'll be shocked~)then you need manual private IP addresses entered in each device.

Any PC shops has cable,switch or routers in stock.

Enjoy it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rolion wrote: »
    The college it may have pre-registered MAC addresses for DHCP ...not every piece of hardware plugged in the network will get a ip address.If it does, i'll fire the IT staff ! ! Limited connectivity means that hardware is ok (ethernet and cable) but dhcp server is off/not configured or your nic not registered with them
    You might as well hand out IP addresses, it's not like you can't sniff the network and setup your own, possibly conflicting, address anyway. You could of course hand out junk addresses which routes clients to the proxy with all the warnings.

Some switches can be setup with a security setting that they lock the port to the next MAC connected, so anything else plugged into the port is ignored. Shouldn't even be able to sniff then.

It could also be a firewall on the laptop blocking you.
    The connection between laptop and xbox needs to be done with a special cable called " cross-over" or use a switch/router.Also,a router will give ip addresses if the function dhcp server is enabled on it.If you don't have a router (i'll be shocked~)then you need manual private IP addresses entered in each device.

Any PC shops has cable,switch or routers in stock.

Enjoy it...
    you only need a cross-over cable if all devices are 10/100 , if either device is gigabit then it will automatically handle the crossover itself, some older 10/100 switches will autosense too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To get an IP address you need to set one manually (painful) or have a DHCP server (easy).

Most internet connection boxes / wireless routers are DHCP servers. Of course if you don't have a box that gives you internet it's a moot point.

How do you get internet ?

If you are trying to plug the xbox directly into the laptop, then it won't work since neither is a DHCP server. They will just keep asking each other for an IP address.

You could plug the laptop into someone else's internet box to test it. you should see flickering lights on/near the socket.

• Advertisement

To get an IP address you need to set one manually (painful) or have a DHCP server (easy).

Most internet connection boxes / wireless routers are DHCP servers. Of course if you don't have a box that gives you internet it's a moot point.

How do you get internet ?

If you are trying to plug the xbox directly into the laptop, then it won't work since neither is a DHCP server. They will just keep asking each other for an IP address.

You could plug the laptop into someone else's internet box to test it. you should see flickering lights on/near the socket.

On an old laptop I was able to connect the xbox 360 to the laptop by manually entering in IP addresses into the xbox, yet for some reason it wont work now.

We are using ntl broadband with a cisco epc2425 (i think) modem/router

On an old laptop I was able to connect the xbox 360 to the laptop by manually entering in IP addresses into the xbox, yet for some reason it wont work now.

We are using ntl broadband with a cisco epc2425 (i think) modem/router

that router should have a DHCP server handing out IP addresses.

If the xbox or old laptop can connect to the internet then the problem lies with the new laptop

it still could be software or firewall, try system restore to roll back to when it last worked

alternaively try a linux live cd to see if can connect to the internet, you may need to check if it supports your network card though , most likely it will

Advertisement