Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life has come to a total stop

Options
  • 07-05-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a 23 yr old girl just finishing a postgrad course, which I did due to lack of job prospects, and the truth I've been ignoring all year is really hitting home. I'm going nowhere any time soon.

Basically, I live with all guys I know since undergrad, they are in professional jobs and either go out with work friends or stay in every night, in bed by ten. They have girlfriends they see on weekends. Even if they do go out, its all guys and although I don't let on, I feel very shy and awkward on these nights out. My female friends all moved to Dublin for professional jobs. They aren't great at staying in contact and they have their own new work friends. We see each other maybe once every few months. The people in my masters were nice but they mostly commuted from home and I can't see us staying in touch.

I'm stuck living in the same place for the next year and a half at the very least, doing further (solitary) study in order to get a professional job. I'm living off a loan because the study load won't allow for a job. I don't drive and I'm broke. I've been single for 3 years and I have no opportunity for meeting guys. If I do go out its with a group of males, hardly helping! The thought that my life is just going to be study all day then go to sleep, then repeat, for the foreseeable future, is terrifying me.

Has anyone been at this stage and gotten through? It just feels like my college friends all just landed on their feet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Are you familiar with the friends thread on boards? Loads of girls meeting up for nights out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Stop right there! You are 23! You have your twenties all ahead of you, and you can surely find a hobby that gets you meeting new people and that you'll enjoy and get a break from all the study. I know it is hard in one way, but just brainstorm the hobbies- squash, gym, knitting, etc. anything! Once you are into it, you'll have better chance to meet cool people like yourself! Let all the settled people stay that way- they have their own problems, so don't be thinking they have it all sorted!

+ you are intelligent! Use it! Get positive, tell yourself all the brilliant things about yourself, and get out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

pog it wrote: »
    Stop right there! You are 23! You have your twenties all ahead of you, and you can surely find a hobby that gets you meeting new people and that you'll enjoy and get a break from all the study. I know it is hard in one way, but just brainstorm the hobbies- squash, gym, knitting, etc. anything! Once you are into it, you'll have better chance to meet cool people like yourself! Let all the settled people stay that way- they have their own problems, so don't be thinking they have it all sorted!

+ you are intelligent! Use it! Get positive, tell yourself all the brilliant things about yourself, and get out there :)
    What Pog it said!

So you have to hang out where you are to get your masters! Then you'll have a masters at 24!! thats awesome! Then you can decide what you wanna do! Travel somewhere to try your new job out, meet tons of people there...!! Once you start working, you'll have the cash to get yourself a car, a place of your own that you can do what you like in! Chin up for the next year, it'll fly by!! :)

Advertisement