Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit TCD with family

Options
  • 07-05-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello
    I want to bring my parents / grandparents to TCD soon to show them it,
    when is the best time , I mean when will there best less students running around , is the exams finished soon?

Would we be allowed to eat a meal in the old dining hall? or is that only for students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

im not sure about the dining hall, but exams officially end the 28th of may, but i reckon most will be over by around the 15th (thats when i finish and i havnt heard of anyone (yet) finishing after me)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Some people have exams up until 19th May.

But I finished. 5th May. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Most exams are finished after next week. You can take them to see the Book of Kells for free, just show your student card.

If they're still doing lunch in the dining hall, yes, you can buy food there. To take them to Commons, you have to buy vouchers. But check the dates, as Commons is switching to lunchtime soon. Should be on the TCD website somewhere.

Edit: Sorry, forgot you're a Leaving Cert student. That might make things more awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

Thanks for the replys
    I'm not a student of TCD yet , so will we not be allowed to eat a meal?
    Who could I email with this question please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I cant see why you wouldnt be allowed buy lunch in the dining hall, dont think they've ever asked for a student card in there. My only experience with commons is having Christmas commons with the boat club, and I didnt look after that but I would assume if you had the balls to walk up and ask for them they ownt ask you for a student card......

Only offering my thoughts, could be completely wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

Groinshot wrote: »
    I cant see why you wouldnt be allowed buy lunch in the dining hall, dont think they've ever asked for a student card in there. My only experience with commons is having Christmas commons with the boat club, and I didnt look after that but I would assume if you had the balls to walk up and ask for them they ownt ask you for a student card......

Only offering my thoughts, could be completely wrong here.

BTW I'M IN THE BOAT CLUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

There's no reason you cant go in next week. Exams will still be on, but that shouldnt affect you looking around really.

You can eat in the Old Dining hall, there is a student Buffet lunch from served from 12-3 Monday to Friday.
    Since you're not a student you wont be able to buy vouchers for commons, so you cant have an evening meal in the Dining Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

mathew wrote: »
    There's no reason you cant go in next week. Exams will still be on, but that shouldnt affect you looking around really.

You can eat in the Old Dining hall, there is a student Buffet lunch from served from 12-3 Monday to Friday.
    Since you're not a student you wont be able to buy vouchers for commons, so you cant have an evening meal in the Dining Hall.

Hi thanks for your reply
    I dont mind the students , I'm just thinking of elderly relations
    It would be nice to eat in the dining hall if its not packed
    I dont really mind about commons,dining hall would be cool I remember it on openday
    Do you think it would be packed at 12 next week?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Hi thanks for your reply
    I dont mind the students , I'm just thinking of elderly relations
    It would be nice to eat in the dining hall if its not packed
    I dont really mind about commons,dining hall would be cool I remember it on openday
    Do you think it would be packed at 12 next week?

Given lectures are finished, and most exams will be finished by then, I doubt it'd be packed then. Even then, during term time it's rarely crazily packed. You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Is the dining hall open for lunch?? I've been there twice during the exam period this year and it's been closed both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

I'm in till the 20th...stats:(

Advertisement