Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Patio Bricks

Options
  • 07-05-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an area about 6M X 6M which I have patio bricks laid in.

I have a consistent problem with weeds coming up through the joints. I have pulled them, power washed it and brushed in new sand into the joints on numerous occasions but still the weeds persist.

Does anyone know of any way or product that i can use to seal these joints to stop this problem

or

any other product that I could put down with minimum fuss to replace these bricks but still keep a fairly fancy look to it.

Would coloured concrete or something like that be a plan or some sort of external tile etc etc.

All suggestions welcome

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

There is no way to completely get rid of weeds since they are so rebust, they will keep coming back. However, you can get week killer for driveways which you can use with a watering can to cover the area and this will kill them. However, you will have to do this at least once a year I guess to keep on top of it. Also, it's handy to have a spot weed killer sitting in the shed so you can act quickly and fill them off if you see one coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Depends what the weeds are. If they're dandelions or anything with that kind of roseate shape, you can cut them off level with the ground, and pour a pile of cheap salt on top of the open cut. (Lidl have very cheap salt for cooking, which is ideal.)

This will dry out the root, and if it doesn't kill it the first time, a couple of goes will usually do it. It doesn't work in rainy weather, for obvious reasons.

Advertisement