Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Hunting Thread

Options
  • 07-05-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I just wanted to start a thread for people to put down their experiences of trying to buy a new home. I'm looking in Dublin but the estate agents seem to be a bit dodgey when it comes to the facts, the never seem to have any.
    Too, I want peoples opinions on pricing. I was looking at apartments around the 250k mark in the city, but none of which are worth even 200k. Pricing in Dublin is way off. Nobody should pay these prices. An estate agent told me someone offered 10k less than asking for an apartment I wanted and I told her it's not near worth that. The next day (10 mins ago, which is why I started this) she asked me to offer what I could. The estate agent was just trying to make a quick,big sale.
    Also, if anyone wants to flag properties as no-goes, please do so.
    I found 34 Ushers Quay to be a write off. I think we all need to help each other in keeping prices down and wiping away all the crap estate agents give us. Most people need to sell these apartments, so don't give in to E.A's, make them give in to us.

Cheers

Oh, and a good site to track homes from when they came on the market and when and how many drop or rises in prices they've had is irishpropertywatch.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

willhouse wrote: »
    Too, I want peoples opinions on pricing. I was looking at apartments around the 250k mark in the city, but none of which are worth even 200k. Pricing in Dublin is way off. Nobody should pay these prices. An estate agent told me someone offered 10k less than asking for an apartment I wanted and I told her it's not near worth that.
    An apartment is worth what someone will pay for it. So if they can find someone to pay 240k for it, then it's worth 240k. Whether it will be worth 240k *after* they buy it, is a different matter entirely.

You have a large choice of properties at the moment. If a seller rejects your offer, move on. Plenty more homes out there.
    The next day (10 mins ago, which is why I started this) she asked me to offer what I could. The estate agent was just trying to make a quick,big sale.
    The estate agent's priority is the seller. They're getting paid by the seller and they're getting paid based on how much they sell it for. An estate agent is not concerned about you any more than a car salesman. To paraphrase the Simpsons - 'The right home for the right Person': The right house is the house that's for sale, the right person is the person looking to buy. They will sell a one-bed apartment to a 5-child family if they think they'll get a good price for it.

So shop for a home exactly like you would shop for anything else; Trust your own judgement, do your own research and never trust the salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

Banks have said that people are aiming 50k less and getting the property that are around the 300 mark. I brought a builder to a viewing and he was able to knock down the price by the same (with his know how on property) and the estate agent phoned me back the next day. The exact same happened in a different apartment with a different estate agent. They said they wouldn't go lower than 20k less than asking and it went for 40k less two days later.
    Track properties, quite a few have been on the market too long just to be holding out on the right sale. They just aren't selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Well there s new apartments going in dublin west near aquatic centre, for 150k,free parking.
    The price depends on size , parking, service charges, but remember you can buy a 3bed house for 200k .No ones forcing you 2buy an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

Yeah, sure the further away from the city centre you go, the lower the price and bigger or better the apartment or house is. I just want an apartment in the city is all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement