Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly in need of a change

Options
  • 07-05-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

In a job i dont like very well. Its been getting to me for the past year. It wasn't easy being in a job you hate but to come home and have family problems also. My mam does nothing but baby the two 30 year old men. She does everything for them, buy their food, cook, clean, washes their clothes, makes their bed, makes their lunch for the odd day's work they do. And she doesn't take housekeeping of them either. She only expects the housekeepong of me. I don't even get a couple of spuds for dinner. Living like that and then my sister would purposely pick fights with me over the stupidest of things, then blame it all on me.

Could i get out? No. I was saving and it was cheaper at home.

I stuck it out and saved for my freedom. Hopefully i will be going back to college this year. Getting a place on this course would mean alot. Its the only thing i ever wanted to do. I get to move away also, so it gets me out of work and out of home.

Im not entitled to the grant. My problem, finacially im on my own. The recession has me scared, all i hear there's no work. I do want to have an evening/weekend job cause i won't have enough saved for the year but its not knowing when/if i will get something.

I know in my heart and soul i have to go for it.

And what happens if i don't get a place on the course? I don't know and i haven't the faintest idea what il do next. Obviously move out of home. Seriously i have been thinking of joining the nuns, at least it will be peaceful and i don't get a life full of siht.

Im badly in need of a change, now and i am just so lost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

You shouldn't be placing all of your hopes on this one course - are you? You need a backup plan. If you don't have one currently, then get thinking about one. I know that 'trapped' feeling you have right now, but learn to devote some time each day to thinking about your future. As you think more about it, you'll find new avenues you could take that show promise.

The recession scared the **** out of me too and exacerbated my depression.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

I'm in a slightly similar situation at the minute but minus the job. It gets pretty difficult living at home and not working. I have been looking for a job since January and have not even been called for one single interview. It's not due to lack of ability, I got a 1st in my Software Systems degree and I have worked in the IT industry for about 2 years.

I would love nothing more than to be working and be able to afford to move out. There are lots of places in Dublin to rent a room for €300 and under so if I was working for minimum wage I should still be able to afford to move out.

Recently I went to Spain to teach English as a means of getting out of here but there is not much work there between April and August so I had to come home. I am planning on moving to either Spain or Canada in October just to get out of here.

But for the OP, my advice would be to not give up hope and look at doing other things that you have not tried before. Hanging all of your hopes on this one course could lead to a huge disappointment, I hope it doesn't though! Try to pinpoint some things you have always wanted to do and just go for them. Even if it means moving to another country, it would be worth it to say you tried and didn't let yourself get into a rut of depression.
    I hate to get all cliché on you but life is too damn short to sit back and get depressed about things.

If you want to have a chat about things just PM me. I'm not working now so I have a ridiculous amount of free time!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here, just an update.

I got a college offer and i am so thrilled, i can see the the light. This time last year, i was honestly considering suicide. That's how much i hated my life, my job, being bullied and sexually harassed in work, living at home. But gave myself a year to sort my life out cause i knew it wouldn't happen overnight.

I made it this far so i certainly can get myself an evening job or weekend job while in college. I can do anything i put my mind to. I think its just everyone else's negativity that has me scared, telling me theres no jobs out there. The country hasn't stopped, has it? There is work. Would i be mad as to go into places and offering to work for less than minimum wage, like 8euro an hour? If i was to get the hours, that'l be great.

Advertisement