Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial problems..

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I was wondering if anyone could give advice about grant eligibility or some form of financial support for student whose parents refuse to support them financially. Ive recently run into some family problems (with an psychologically and emotionally abusive father) who is now adamant that he'll never support me financially in college. Why? cause he overheard, more like eavesdropped on a conversation i was having with my mother. Some nasty, but true things were said. Anyway, im not going to go into that. Im living in galway, and i cant go home for the summer. He's banned me from doing that. I have no money for rent, or a job. My mom is unemployed so she cant help me, and i dont know what to do. Concerning applying for the grant in september, im sure it wont be easy seeing that im still a dependent in their opinion and i was previously refused the grant because of my household income levels. Any advice for me? :(:(

I ought to mention that my father has never been keen on supporting me in college even though he earns about 70k a year. Thats not because im a wild child, far from it. Im quiet, i dont go out, do as im told and ive always gotten great grades at school..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Sorry to hear about your problems, paradoxaholic.
    You could try having a chat with your Community Welfare Officer,(HSE) and also Citizens Advice. They should both be in a position to advise you on your entitlements. Sorry I can't be of any more help - Good Luck.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NeonAddict

there isnt much you can get but I heard you could be able to be entitled to rent allowance.How are yu surivivng now by the way?and I would try to apply again got the grant just explain to them the situation that your living alone and that you have to support yourself.If all else fails i think you will need to get on dole and jobseekers allowance and take a year off and hopefully save up cash :( *hug* Im a bit on the same boat and I dont get any money at all my last hope is geting a job if not no college next year.Best of luck hun

Advertisement