Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I screwed?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is KILLING me at this stage!!

How much trouble am I in?

Ok, so I left Ireland in December of 2009. I had a credit card debt of about 2k.

I came to Canada and didn't get work for a while and lived off savings.

Eventually savings ran out, and I had to live off credit card a bit.

Money was going up and down, and eventually, I ran up a 4k debt on my card (fof some reason it kept giving me money! Even though I was over my limit!!) and I haven't made a payment since about February / March.

The bank have absolutely no way of contacting me, so I have NO idea what's going on back home.

They have my family home address, but so far I haven't heard from my parents or anything about someone calling the house (as far as I know they have the house number, and there's an answering machine) and nobody has called to the door as far as I know.

It wont be possible for me to make payments any time soon, and I used it quite recently, like an idiot, after not using it for about 2 months.

So what can happen? Could this become criminal?? What should I do??

(also, i realise how incredibly reckless and irresponsible i've been).

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It sounds obvious..but have you called the bank to ask them what the status of your account is? That's step one. Putting your head in the sand and saying "you won't be in a position" to make payments doesn't help. If the card is in arrears, then you'll have to make a payment plan of some sort with the bank, even if it's for small amounts.

Advertisement