Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Banking (BA Economics)

Options
  • 07-05-2010 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

It seems that many students in the UK go to the most reputable schools' to do Economics degrees in order to get a job in investment banking.

As TCD is the most reputed in Ireland (and doing ok in world rankings) would it be a suitable choice for someone trying to get into this field?

I would love to hear from those in BESS on this one:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

bump.:(

Nobody know anyone who did BESS who did Investment Banking after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Chill out, give it a day or two......

If you can find a more suitable course somewhere else then do it there, there's only so far a name will get you. If you go for a job interview, and they see a1st from trinity, you'll obviously look better than say a 2:1 from anywhere else, but at the same time, if you go in there and perform better than everyone else in an interview they'll hire you over any of the others, even the trinners. A good degree wont get you everythign straight away, its just a place to start

Groinshot wrote: »
    If you can find a more suitable course somewhere else then do it there, there's only so far a name will get you. If you go for a job interview, and they see a1st from trinity, you'll obviously look better than say a 2:1 from anywhere else, but at the same time, if you go in there and perform better than everyone else in an interview they'll hire you over any of the others, even the trinners. A good degree wont get you everythign straight away, its just a place to start
    I understand, its just that many have said you may not even get an interview from certain colleges, so maybe TCD's name would get you through the door in London or NY..

Maybe UCd would have a better name with these posh business ****ers.. oh decisions:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I do MSISS (some modules are with bess) in 3rd year. I have a summer internship this year in JP Morgan in the UK. I don't know if it's an indication of the name TCD has, probably nothing to be honest. At the end of the day, it is all down to getting the 1st interview, and the experience you have built up over the years (in any field).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

DBS maybe?

• Advertisement

Groinshot wrote: »
    DBS maybe?

I thought that has a bad rep, worse than UCD & TCD?

Cant afford, anyways:p

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

sternn wrote: »
    I have a summer internship this year in JP Morgan in the UK.

Nice one Sternn, way to go! I'd say you'll have a busy summer, but enjoyable too! Would like to hear how it goes, I'd consider IVB in the future. Good luck with it!

OP - I would also think that the quality of your degree is more important than where it comes from. Having a 1st is way more important than which college you are from, although it can't hurt to go to one of the more reputable ones (TCD/UCD, but either would be grand). Between that and having a good CV, with extra-curricular stuff, particularly roles of responsibility; you should be giving yourself good chances of getting interviews. Once that happens though its all about how the interviews go, and you can worry about that when the time comes.

Now that I think of it, almost every single employer talk who I went to this year, says the grades are more important than the subject. Always hear something along the lines of "You could be doing philosophy+theology, if you have good grades and impress us then you could get the job." Or something like that.

I would say however, that in my opinion you'd be better off in a harder, numerically related degree (no offence BESS peeps!), which less people do. A 1st in BESS is great, but maybe not as tough as getting a 1st in something else. Also, if you don't manage a 1st, then you'll be one of hundreds who finish BESS with a 2.1; as opposed to a handful who get a 2.1 in courses like theoretical physics, maths, or MSISS. These course are (from what I gather) very well thought of by employers. I guess it means you're just a bit more unique.

And if these aren't quite your cup o tea maybe think about maths and economics, which gives a balance between tough material and applicable/useful knowledge.

Hope this helps, it certainly helped me distract myself from study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

stainluss wrote: »
    It seems that many students in the UK go to the most reputable schools' to do Economics degrees in order to get a job in investment banking.

As TCD is the most reputed in Ireland (and doing ok in world rankings) would it be a suitable choice for someone trying to get into this field?

I would love to hear from those in BESS on this one:)

If you want to be an investment banker, go to a good university, get a 2.1., develop your leadership skills, your social skills and your social network. I'd recommend joining a decent sports club with an old boy network and be able to have the dressing room banter with the lads. Some of the college societies are good for this too.

Banks couldn't care less that you have a 1st, if you're an socially inept, out-and-out nerd who has no clue as to the dynamics of a team in a male-dominated environment.

Openmp wrote: »
    If you want to be an investment banker, go to a good university, get a 2.1., develop your leadership skills, your social skills and your social network. I'd recommend joining a decent sports club with an old boy network and be able to have the dressing room banter with the lads. Some of the college societies are good for this too.

Banks couldn't care less that you have a 1st, if you're an socially inept, out-and-out nerd who has no clue as to the dynamics of a team in a male-dominated environment.

Isnt regular life just good experience for this? Meeting new people in college etc.?

Advertisement