Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clean your matts, if you dare...

Options
  • 06-05-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭

NCT is on Monday, so i've started a mega-valet of the car a few days in advance.

First up is the carpets. What's worrying about these pictures is that the matts were perfectly clean apart from a few scuffs, and I had cleaned them roughly every 6-8 weeks with upholstery foam for the last two years.

I thought it was time to give them a bath with very hot water, washing powder and lots of elbow grease with a nailbrush. Bloody hell, 10 years of dirt below!

First round of scrubbing:

htds001.jpg

htds002.jpg

Rinsed the matts, emptied and refilled the bath for round two:

htds003.jpg

htds004.jpg

Did the same again for a third time round:

htds005.jpg

Finally rinsed them off and now they're drying in the greenhouse :D .

Unbelievable amount of dirt came out of the drivers matt, no matter how much I scrubbed and rinsed the water coming out was filthy. Scrub & rinse, scrub & rinse, scrub & rinse. I gave up after a while, it was clean enough!

As I say, the matts are always kept clean, its amazing what comes out with a proper clean though. Makes me wonder what the carpets are like...

Stay tuned for after pics!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'd hate to see your shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This is the bizarre thing, i go nuts if anyone gets in with dirty shoes and my own are always spotless. Matts are never visibly dirty, but I guess they were rotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Just stick mine in the machine like. Use a deck brush for the rubber mats on the other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Washing machines can easily tear mats, the water can get trapped by the centrifugal action of the spin and rip holes in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I hope you pass your NCT

• Advertisement

I hear they test matt cleanliness with the "tongue test".

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Nice! Thats what I need for the carpets. Or a giant bath...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

lol
    I can imagine me saying to a customer can i use your bath love lol

i reakon if you did your matts like that with the bath thing twice a year they,d always be
    clean
    looking forward to seen the dry picks
    fairplay to you buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have just bought new mats... :pac:

• Advertisement

You know how much matts are for a 7 series? Nailbrushes are cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Nice, they probably do look a lot better now.

The thing about the NCT is that since they do not care about your car, you will probably have to detail it again right after :(...Last year when I went for mine, it came back with white spots all over, some sort of powder, on the steering wheel etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

You know how much matts are for a 7 series? Nailbrushes are cheaper!
    That's what you get for owning a 7. :D Here's to waiting for the dry pics and passing the NCT. o/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Oh dear god. Iv got the exact same grey mats as you except mine is a coupe!
    Might give that ago!

EDIT: just forgot i have no bath in the house :(

CaraFawn wrote: »

The thing about the NCT is that since they do not care about your car, you will probably have to detail it again right after :(...Last year when I went for mine, it came back with white spots all over, some sort of powder, on the steering wheel etc...

Could it have just been talc from the inside of latex gloves?
    Hogzy wrote: »
    Oh dear god. Iv got the exact same grey mats as you except mine is a coupe!
    Might give that ago!

EDIT: just forgot i have no bath in the house :(

Do give it a go, even out on the drive with a bucket of soapy water and a brush, foam cleaner isn't enough. Even if they're clean, they ain't! I also got a strong whiff of fish with the first clean, dissappeared after all the other rinses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you've ever used one of those carpet cleaners you can hire and looked at the state of the water that comes out of them when used on what you thought was a not too dirty carpet in your house, you wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rubber mats FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

squod wrote: »
    Just stick mine in the machine like

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Like what?

like Cark biy!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@VoodooMelon - hopefully they haven't shrunk on you!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I would have just bought new mats... :pac:
    My E39 mats were IIRC about €150 five years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Why, is it necessary to clean the mats, do the NCT inspectors get down and sniff the mats or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

CaraFawn wrote: »

Are you sure it was an NCT centre and not a crack house you left the car at? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

old_aussie wrote: »
    Why, is it necessary to clean the mats, do the NCT inspectors get down and sniff the mats or something?

If you're gonna have it clean for the NCT ya might aswell have it proper clean

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did the same again for a third time round:

htds005.jpg

Did you get caught short in the middle of doing this one?? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

oh good god!!!

Dont show the missus those pics.. she'll kill ya for destroying her bath!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

http://www.tailored-carmats.co.uk/bmw/sc-7-series-e38.html?z=car-mats

Prices here seem quite good, they're proper fitted mats, and offer a range of colours and fabric quality.
    Good job on the cleaning though, Nothing like clean mats to help lift the inside of a car!
    I hate rubber mats, and I hate generic mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

Fantastic job cleaning the mates. Some serious dedication!

It's good to see someone who takes care and appreciates their car. You can learn alot from a man, by how he treats his car.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    oh good god!!!

Dont show the missus those pics.. she'll kill ya for destroying her bath!!!! :D

Keep it on the down low. ;)
    Fantastic job cleaning the mates. Some serious dedication!

Yeh, I love cleaning my mates, some job getting them all in the bath at the same time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

How did you get the excess water out of them or did you?

A good idea to do this would be to use a rolling pin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I had a rugdoctor for a day as I was moving house and I ran it over the mats,it was crazy how filthy they were.Goes to show all that carpet cleaner for cars doesnt do much good.

Advertisement