Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In imeacht + i gcaitheamh

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the difference between these two?

Ó Dónaill gives 'i gcaitheamh an lae' as meaning 'in the course of the night', Have heard it on RnaG in reference to winds, rain during the course of the night

Then Ó Dónaill gives 'in imeacht an lae' as 'in the course of the day'

But is there a subtle difference in meaning here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Suil Amhain

According to my Foclóir Uí Dhonáil 'I gcaitheamh an lae' is in the course of the day, as is with 'in imeacht an lae'.

You must be mistaken, both mean during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

ah that was typo, should have written day, not night... Tá difear lá agus oíche eatarthu :D

I was asking about the difference between i gcaitheamh and in imeacht really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

pog it wrote: »
    ah that was typo, should have written day, not night... Tá difear lá agus oíche eatarthu :D

I was asking about the difference between i gcaitheamh and in imeacht really.
    Ní dóigh liom go bhfuil difríocht ar bith eatarthu.
    Ach ar chúis eicínt, braithim go mbaineann "in imeacht" le Dún na nGall; an bhfuil a fhios ag éinne an bhfuil dul amú orm?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

deirdremf wrote: »
    Ach ar chúis eicínt, braithim go mbaineann "in imeacht" le Dún na nGall; an bhfuil a fhios ag éinne an bhfuil dul amú orm?

An leagan is coitianta i dTír Chonaill ná "i rith an lae". Ina dhiaidh sin bheadh " i gcaitheamh an lae". Bheadh "in imeacht an lae" intuigthe ach annamh. Níl duifear eatarthu, i mo bharúil, ó thaobh míniú de.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

deirdremf wrote: »

No there isn't much difference between i gcaitheamh and in imeacht. This thread is from over 12 months ago! I perceive the difference now as being the same as it is between caitheamh and imeacht so it's simple enough really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement