Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Castrating Bullocks & Band Success

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Just wondering, we bought 22 bullocks in the mart before xmas and had to have 14 recastrated...is this unusual? In our experience we rarely had to recastrate, but we normally bought older stock (around 20 months). We had to buy younger stock (mostly 09 calves) this time round as the bigger stock was way too dear at the time. I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me as to whether this is a regular occurence when buying younger stock.

Also wondering how successful is the band method & how long does it take for full effect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are you sure you were re-castrating, maybe they were never done in the first place?
    Some of the continental breeds, like charolais are very slow to mature. I've bought bulls before at around 18 months old thinking they were bullocks. When the Vet came to castrate them, he insisting on using the rubber band. Think it was more to do with his own safety to be honest. The band worked a treat. So signs of set-back at all. The sacs fell off after a few weeks. Don't forget to cover them for tetanus also, same injection as for blackleg.

Advertisement