Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

will passing the driving test reduce my insurance premium?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i'm 19 and recently passed my driving test. i am insured as a named driver on my parents insurance policy. will passing the test decrease the insurance premium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Most people do see their insurance go down [I got about 100 off mine] but it really depends on your insurance company and other conditions so best bet is to ring up and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Neuro Energetic Kinesiology

Your insurance should definitely go down once you pass your test, it may not be reduced by much but it would be worth your while getting quotes from a few different companies. The prices can vary so much so it is good to shop around:)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

Yep, I've saved around 400 after passing my test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Neuro Energetic Kinesiology

Congrats...On both counts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yup. By a significant amount...
    If you are with Aviva you can also do their "ignition" test which is like a driving test but apparently much easier and your insurance will go down by additional 20-40% or its what they say...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yup. By a significant amount...

Not always true, i remember passing my test and getting nothing back!, i've heard of plenty of people in the same position. This was probably because it was my parents policy and not my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Friends insurance went from 2200 to 900 after passing his test. 1st year of driving as well.

Quinn Direct with a 06 Ford Fiesta 1.2

Im hoping mine goes down to around 900 when I hopefully pass my test at the end of the year.

Currently paying 1485 on a 03 1.4 Golf :D WIN!! Its my 1st car in my own name as well!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Not always true, i remember passing my test and getting nothing back!, i've heard of plenty of people in the same position. This was probably because it was my parents policy and not my own.

For me it was €2500 on provisional and €1900 on full + another €400 off if I do the "ignition" course thing. This was before I got the insurance.
    Now if I get a quote, I might probably be lucky to get back €500.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm surprised that it would go down when you pass your test at all. From a pure risk assessment point of view, I would think that you are more likely to crash once you are allowed to drive on your own, and on motorways, after passing your test. For young men, a lot of the 'showing off' would probably happen after they pass the test, as then they don't need an accompanied driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Years ago, when I passed my bike test, I went into Norwich Union straight from my test and showed them my cert of competence. They gave me a partial refund by cheque a few days later. I hadnt even claimed the full licence !

A couple of years ago, the wife passed her test. I took her new licence to the AA office in Walkinstown and they issued a small refund as she had passed her test.

Fight your corner and see what you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm surprised that it would go down when you pass your test at all. From a pure risk assessment point of view, I would think that you are more likely to crash once you are allowed to drive on your own, and on motorways, after passing your test. For young men, a lot of the 'showing off' would probably happen after they pass the test, as then they don't need an accompanied driver.

Well when you are insured as a learner permit holder all you have proved is that you have an understanding of the rules of the road. Fair enough you're going to have an accompanying driver at all times, but imo you are more of a risk as a learner than you are as a fully licensed driver. At least with the license you have proved that you are capable of handling the basics of driving.
    Obviously there will be exceptions to this, like those who go mad after passing, but generally speaking the risk decreases. The reduction in price for a young male would probably be minimal. It depends on the insurer and policy i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

my uncles insurance went up 150 euro when he told them he had passed his test. he was 26 and only paying 900 euro on a 1.7 astra. they told him the reason for this is that he can now drive on his own and is more likely to drive faster..for christs sake hes 26 like not 17(fueled by testosterone) this was quinn direct by the way. so watch out it may rise or fall depending on the company

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mine went down by e20:D

from 390 to 370

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

After you pass the test, you are allowed to drive alone/on motorways.
    But a significant number of learners do these things anyway, and the insurers know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

@amie7: Most insurers do offer a refund of some sort when a learner driver passes their test, best of luck with it. P.S: We have a great young driver product which is worth checking out!

Advertisement