Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT + Tax Question

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Do I need an NCT in order to get tax or do I need tax in order to get an NCT?

I keep forgetting which it is!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Neither!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As above, you don't need either to get either.

However you obviously can't(legally) drive to an nct center without tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Many people are confused by this and rightly so. Many years ago (early noughties, the early days of the NCT) you used to need the car NCTd to get it taxed. Then there was a big NCT strike, so cars weren't being tested. And then because they weren't tested, they couldn't be taxed, so the government missed out on a lot of revenue. And so they changed the law :D

I got caught out in the middle of this, with an eagle eyed Garda spotting that the tax disc was missing in my car (while I was driving at about 120km/h on the M50). When he questioned me about the missing tax, I told him I couldn't get the car NCTd and he informed me that requirement had been dropped a few days ago. So there I went to tax it and soon after NCT it, when the strike was over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Based on a workmates experience last month, if you are going to tax a car
    for the first time after transfer of ownership, then you do need it nct'ed in
    order to tax it.

Both tax and nct had expired before he took ownership of the motor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You can TAX your car without NCT.
    You can NCT your car without TAX.
    When there is a change of ownership, you have to wait until Shannon have your name updated on the system before you can tax your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have specified the situation.

It's my gran's car. Tax has been out since 03/10 so I'm renewing it for her this month. NCT has been out since 10/09. On the tax renewal form it asks for the current NCT number which obviously is out. As Nissan doctor mentioned, I can't legally drive the car to the NCT centre. This is exactly what I don't want to do.

On a seperate note, to clarify - the NCT number - is this the very long number on discs/certs or is it the number that's written in the same style as sorting numbers on cheques?

Advertisement