Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiMax. Anyone use it? Any good?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can find very little info on WiMax. Not sure if anyone is using it or not, it's relatively new

I love UPC and would prefer UPC over anything but alas they're not available where i'm headed. Line rental is out for me too so left with O2, Vodafone, Meteor, Three mobile internet (which my opinion aren't great)

IBB, forget it (Ironic since Imagine own WiMax and IBB!) and clearwire (brutal)

So led me to WiMax... I like the unlimitedness of it, though dont see any kind of cap in the FUP.

what_do_you_get.gif

You'll receive a fast reliable internet connection with Free Wi-Fi and unlimited usage allowance*.

Cool so far. All good

what_do_you_need.gif
    starred.gif 233 MHz Processor
    starred.gif 32Mb Ram
    starred.gif 1GB Hard-Disk Space
    starred.gif Ethernet Port
    starred.gif Windows XP (or higher)
    starred.gif MAC OS 10
    starred.gif Internet Explorer 7 (or higher)

Ethernet port? Yeah i'd need one if i'm using a wired connection! No mention of a wireless card there! The box looks awful similar to the clearwire one which DOESN'T (or at least didn't) have wi-fi when a friend had it 2 years back

So if anyone has it, can they confirm that it has wi-fi? I would love to be able to use it from my laptop anywhere in the house and I would also like to add 2 devices on the LAN (XBOX360 and a USB hub) if that'd be possible? It should be if it's standard wi-fi + 4 ethernet ports router. Doesn't give much away online

If anyone has any info i'd be grateful of your opinions!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The unlimited usage will never last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

If I sign up now would unlimited be in effect for at least 12 months of the contract?

That's a big change to the service / T&C's.. .would I be able to cancel if they were to impose a cap after I sign up, say 6 months down the line?

I dont mean a cap like the way UPC have a FUP cap of something like 250GB where they 'reserve' the right to send you letters blah blah but dont really enforce it cap... I mean an actual definitive cap like o2 where if you go over your throttled/charged
    watty wrote: »
    The unlimited usage will never last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

They specify an ethernet port cos they will be giving you a wimax box that you'll need to connect to it. There is no reason that I know of, why you could not plug in a wireless router instead. I've done this with my cable modem from UPC with no issues & prior to that with a DSL modem from eircom.

The no limit download is beneficial, I see Vodafone have a nasty eu5 per MB charge if you exceed the monthly 1G limit! Also they are not clear about whether that it upload or download, or combined. Yucky.

What kind of up/down speeds are being offered? Do you have a minimum signup? Do any of your neighbours have it? If so, see will they do a test at speedtest.net or similar.

Good luck with it,

FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If I sign up now would unlimited be in effect for at least 12 months of the contract?

I would say there is already an FUP in their T&Cs, which they can choose to enforce any time they like without effecting your contract. If there isn't a specific limit, then that means it can be as low as they want.
    FoxT wrote: »
    I see Vodafone have a nasty eu5 per MB charge if you exceed the monthly 1G limit!

That's wrong on both counts. Vodafone mobile has a limit of 10GB, and the charge is 2c per MB outside of that.

Here's the FUP, nothing specific about limits except they have discretion over what they see as excessive

Gonna call them and see whats up anyhow later today

Fair Use Policy – Broadband
    A fair use policy applies to all WiMax Broadband Packages. The WiMax Broadband Service is a shared service and imagine reserves the right to manage the Network to ensure that all users get fair access to the Network. If users make excessive use of their WiMax Broadband Service their service may be restricted or they may be asked to subscribe to an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s) more suitable to their usage. imagine at it’s sole discretion will define from time to time what constitutes excessive use of the WiMax Service(s) Once Customers exceed this level they will have the option to upgrade their WiMax Broadband Package(s) or their service speed may be restricted by imagine. In the event of the Customer refusing or neglecting to select an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s), imagine may, upon due notice, terminate the provision of the WiMax Broadband Service to the Customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They won't give you a specific number on the limit, as that would be an actual cap, and would diminish they effectiveness of their FUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

I've just installed Imagine Wi-Max and reviewed it here:

http://www.seeit.org/2010/05/11/imagine-wi-max-initial-review/

My initial thoughts are mixed - performance (in Dublin 7) appears fine, but you get ZERO control over the modem (other than switching Wi-Fi on and off, changing the Wi-Fi channel and SSID) crippling it for all but a casual home user.

jor el wrote: »
    They won't give you a specific number on the limit, as that would be an actual cap, and
    would diminish they effectiveness of their misleading marketing. :)

It's time the regulator banned the FUP for traffic, either have a Cap or not. Anything else is lacking transparency and misleading.

A Traffic FUP is simply a Cap where they won't admit what it is, or that they can reduce at a whim without negating your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

It is RUBBISH! Bad speeds, Very Bad Customer Service. Poor Tech Support. IOM Stay clear of it!!!
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/810930852.png

I've been looking into it

The router is a motorola wi-max router which I've been told by the guy on the phone (who in my opinion seemed very honest and knew what he was on about) has wifi and 4 ethernet ports

He has also said that it's available where i'm going in July and has a contention ratio of no greater than 12:1.

Told him i'd be using my XBOX and said that average ping times are less than 100ms which to me seem fine

Seems decent enough to me

• Advertisement

Less than 12:1 on a Mobile/Nomadic Wimax system?

I'd google contention on Mobile Wireless. Also get that in writing.

How do they acheive that and ever make money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Muck muck muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

Just installed it. Box arrived 2 weeks ago and plugged the ethernet cable into the Mac Pro connected into the modem and went online. Couldn't get the WiFi to work and wasn't 'till after a 30 min call to tech support that they got it working.

Phone line didn't appear to be working but only using an old Eircom Slaney phone. Tech support says to try another unit "there are issues with some Eircom handsets". I had ordered their be all and end all digital phones but Imagine not competent enough to deliver.

Called support on their 1890 number and had to listen to 3 minutes OF THEIR F******** ADS ON A LOOP before I got to a person. Just the thing to soothe the nerves of a customer needing support! What a bunch! She decided to transfer me to another clone and I ran out of credit after 10 mins.

Verdict
    WiMax Great
    Imagine APPALLING

Great product, pathetic company.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Have to say I wouldnt recommend it. Got it installed in Drogheda and the service is very mixed to say the least. Signed up to 7mb but its nowhere near that. Sunday evening it was very bad, pings spiking off the charts and download speeds running at dial up speeds. In gereral their 7M service runs around 0.5 to 1.5M depending on the time you use it. At peak times you may forget it! I rang them a couple of times and eventually they admitted they are having "problems" in the area and have no idea when the service would be up to speed. The tech guy also let it slip that I cant get 7m service in my area which blew my fuses totally. I lost it and told him no way was I paying for a service which they sold me KNOWING they couldnt provide. Its now down to 1M on average,at off peak times, and the ping varies by huge ammounts. I told the guy I'll glad pay when they provide the service as advertised and promoted. He took it all fairly well and their accounts dept have downgraded our package to the 1M service.
    Also came home today to find we have no phone service. Got a tech guy on my mobile and he advised that power was coming into the house via the land line which would have to be disconnected in order for the phones to work.
    Overall I'd say it could be a good service but Im not sure they realy know what they are doing nor are they honest about the quality and consistency of the signal that you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Just thought I'd add that tonight it is almost unuseable again. Pings spiking through the roof and download speeds at a crawl.

Avoid this product at all costs.:mad:

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/819977284.png[/IMG][/URL]"]

[/url]819977284.png

Have seen the d/l up to 7.65Mb/s but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Hard to say if its any use, its like the old Virtual Vs. Physical Server argument there is no blanket answer its all circumstantial.

From what i understand (from following trends) there is some conciderations, the area seems to be a big one, it seems some cells may be over subscribed (presumption here, watty is the authority on this technology) in certain areas leading to poor performance for clients.

Before you commit definatly have a look around the Midband forum at the WiMax threads and see if an area has cropped up some complaints from users, if not try it get an opinion on how good / bad the service is when you get it and if your not happy within a day or so, phone up and get it returned; Customer service is not a strong point it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Ping tests
    Upload/download tests

All with pretty graphs and tables.

http://www.seeit.org/2010/05/25/imagine-wi-max-one-week-on/

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

826019831.png

Pure and utter crap for 7MB

• Advertisement

Really they can't charge you for 7Mb. Mine isn't that bad.

826053917.png

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

Like rafared, I'm on this service in Drogheda, and would most certainly NOT recommend it if you are anywhere near there. Signed up for 7mb but best I could get is 3mb.
    The line 'speed' is sub-dial up (struggling between 0.5 and 1mb per speedtest.net), can't get phone to work with it, and 'customer service' is comfortably the worst I've ever encountered - which is quite an achievement for this country!:mad::mad::mad:
    I need an alternative ISP but am having problems finding one in my area - anyone recommend one with decent (5mb+) speed, price & reliable service in Drogheda??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Living in MAynooth. Do not touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭deravarra

Living in MAynooth. Do not touch it.

And I have workmates who think it's brilliant ...

I could tell you horror stories about eircon - would you like me to?

td1 wrote: »
    Like rafared, I'm on this service in Drogheda, and would most certainly NOT recommend it if you are anywhere near there. Signed up for 7mb but best I could get is 3mb.
    The line 'speed' is sub-dial up (struggling between 0.5 and 1mb per speedtest.net), can't get phone to work with it, and 'customer service' is comfortably the worst I've ever encountered - which is quite an achievement for this country!:mad::mad::mad:
    I need an alternative ISP but am having problems finding one in my area - anyone recommend one with decent (5mb+) speed, price & reliable service in Drogheda??:)

I have UPC at home and I rarely get more than 17mb for my 30mb download - that is commonplace. No provider, unless uncontended, will guarantee speeds of the top end of their marketed speeds.

I thought everyone would know that ...

Perhaps some people just need some education, or at least live in the real world

deravarra wrote: »
    I have UPC at home and I rarely get more than 17mb for my 30mb download - that is commonplace. No provider, unless uncontended, will guarantee speeds of the top end of their marketed speeds.

I thought everyone would know that ...

Perhaps some people just need some education, or at least live in the real world

Sure.......We abelieve everything you say because all of your posts have been so credible......

Sure.......We abelieve everything you say because all of your posts have been so credible......

At least I'm not illiterate....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Innumerate would be the correct term, non???

I'll get me big brother after ye.

• Advertisement

I'll get me big brother after ye.

you do that :)

I'll pm you my address lol ...

Advertisement