Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raiders release Russel

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

JaMarcus Russel has been released by the Raiders, obviously this isnt a suprising development but where does everyone think he will end up?

I know most peoples immeadiate reaction will be that he will never suit up again for an NFL team but anyone with his physical attributes and talent will get signed by someone who thinks they can whip him into shape;)

There was a good reason Russel went number 1 and while his time in the pros have made him look like an idiot that hasnt capitalised on his talent the sun hasnt set on his career yet and I think some team could look to sign him-to a small money contract-and see if they can tap into his potential

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I just came. So happy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bengals and Jets seem to have no problem taking players with bad history. I expect he will get a chance somewhere else and the Bengals is most likely but that is of course if he is happy to take small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The number 1 draft bust of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bengals and Jets seem to have no problem taking players with bad history. I expect he will get a chance somewhere else and the Bengals is most likely but that is of course if he is happy to take small money.

The issue is small money. Russell showed he had no desire for the game once he got paid and i dont think him getting cut will humble him one bit. I dont see him bothering with the NFL anymore. Being an NFL QB was a nausance to his lifestyle and i dont think being a backup QB for a few measly hundred thousand dollars will entice him back.

Its a bit early for that declaration Hazys. He is still a young man and could turn it around if his attitude changes. And all-time I don't think so anyways, at least he started and won some games.

What I want to know though is what has happened to Crazy Al? He is suddenly doing things right and admitting mistakes.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    The issue is small money. Russell showed he had no desire for the game once he got paid and i dont think him getting cut will humble him one bit. I dont see him bothering with the NFL anymore. Being an NFL QB was a nausance to his lifestyle and i dont think being a backup QB for a few measly hundred thousand dollars will entice him back.
    Well all we really know is what we hear in the media.

And I gotta say this as much as I don't want to defend the guy but last year his line let him get hit hard and it seemed to be on purpose after some stupid comments by him. That led to Gradkowski getting put in, so he lost his place. I just don't see how that was going to entice him to come back and perform better for the Raiders. Of course its likely that it didn't matter at all given the stuff we have heard but still you just don't know if its a case of him being desperate to get out of there for a long time. I just don't like to write anybody off until they have either decided not to play again or had a chance with another team.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I just came. So happy

+1

Glad to draw a line under that debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Little bit of shock when I read the title but it was coming eventually.

I can see Russell signing with some other team, staying on the bench for a couple of years and a coach to whip him into shape. He's a disaster but I'm not calling him the biggest bust ever, when he retires or completely finished, I'll consider it.

Raider fans must be quite happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's shown absolutely no signs of wanting to turn his career around though. It's all well and good to suggest that he needs a fresh start at a new team but if the same JR that walks out of the raiders walks into a new club it'll be the same story, only probably a bit cheaper for the new team.

My prediction is he's either in jail by this time next year or scraping by with minimal hustle in the afl or cfl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

I am absolutely delighted we can finally turn the page on the JaMarcus Russell "era"!

Fair play to Al he has come alive again and is building a winner, this is a huge step.

As for Russell's career, put a fork in him, he's done!

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He's shown absolutely no signs of wanting to turn his career around though. It's all well and good to suggest that he needs a fresh start at a new team but if the same JR that walks out of the raiders walks into a new club it'll be the same story, only probably a bit cheaper for the new team.

My prediction is he's either in jail by this time next year or scraping by with minimal hustle in the afl or cfl.
    In Jail, why on earth would you think that:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

I dont know where he'll end up but I guess he'll get a very much incentivised contract. Basically minimum money, with bonus's for staying awake in meetings, not going over a certin weight at any stage in the season, knowing parts of the playbook etc and then for actually proper things such as number of snaps taken, no of td's, qb rating etc.

He'll get another contract somewhere, I dunno where but I'm sure someone will give him a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Absolutely delighted. Its made my day! Maybe now we can can on with getting out of our mediocre recent form and get a few wins next year and build a winning franchise again. Finally - Old Al seems to have gotten the finger out!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

I am absolutely delighted we can finally turn the page on the JaMarcus Russell "era"!

Fair play to Al he has come alive again and is building a winner, this is a huge step.

As for Russell's career, put a fork in him, he's done!

That's what caused some of his problems in the first place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i can't see any other team taking him. i'd be shocked if they did. he's not even good enought to be backup QB cos he won't put in the work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I wonder if Josh McDaniels thinks he can turn him into a good player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

f1dan wrote: »

Why would he do that when he already has a good player?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Denver are pretty stacked at QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Denver are pretty stacked at QB.

I'm aware of that. I was just thinking he might be kickin himself at signing Brady Quinn. Surely Russell would provide the ultimate chance for him to prove that he's a great QB coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm aware of that. I was just thinking he might be kickin himself at signing Brady Quinn. Surely Russell would provide the ultimate chance for him to prove that he's a great QB coach.

The one thing McDaniels seems adamant on, is a team full of hard-working players he trusts, with little or no character issues.

Does Russell fit that profile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

eagle eye wrote: »
    In Jail, why on earth would you think that:confused:

Defrauding the Raiders by masquerading as a quarterback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

To be fair, I seen a list of the top 10 busts of all time on the nfl network (which russel now tops) and most of them had stints in jail or are currently in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Yeah but most of them had character flaws, Russel just likes grub, can't blame the guy really all that cash can buy a lot of Ham and Cheese Jambons!!! mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Russel is selfish lazy and not above "taking what he wants". Not saying he will end up in prison but he's as not better than the rest of them when it comes to character issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

This is a pretty good read - remembering the pre-draft JaMarcus hype:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html

My favourite it Mel Kiper's comment although there are several... Among other things it just shows what a load of rubbish the draft coverage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

This is a pretty good read - remembering the pre-draft JaMarcus hype:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html

My favourite it Mel Kiper's comment although there are several... Among other things it just shows what a load of rubbish the draft coverage is.

The common trend in that gallery is of people saying 'this man has all the attributes to be great and the only limiting factor will be his desire to be great,' they weren't really a million miles away with what happened.

I watched the LSU vs Notre Dame bowl game from his last year in college relatively recently(think it was over Christmas) and Russel really did look like he would be a valuable player to pick with the number 1 draft pick, it was solely his lack of desire that has caused him to fail, not any lack of talent.

The Raiders front office should have picked up on that in interviews but by all accounts at the time it didnt appear that Russel would have as much of an issue with motivation as he had.

Advertisement