Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sealing a shower enclosure adequately-Help

• 06-05-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I've recently installed a shower enclosure to a 1000mm quadrant shower tray and sealed where wall brackets meet tiles and where enclosure meets the tray. The unit is leaking between the wall brackets and enclosure itself. I feel I've omitted sealing where the enclosure meets the wall bracket and wanted to know if this should definitely be done? Obviously I'd do this on the outside of the shower enclosure but wondered would clear silicone be sufficient since white will obviously stand out against the chrome/aluminium finish. Hope someone else has had a similar problem and can advise.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thats a very stange one. Very strange. Usually those profiles are so tight nothing gets in but condensation. Are you sure you dont have the condensation holes fitted to the outside of the tray in which case it will explain the leak.

If you do and think an easy fix will be to seal the holes be careful there is a reason for them

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DLBuild

Thanks for your reply Joey.
    I think we I may not have made the problem clear enough.
    Basically the wall bracket runs from the tray to the top of the shower enclosure at each wall. The entire quadrant shower enclosure is built standalone and offered into the wall brackets. The overlap from the shower enclosure frame to the wall brackets is about 40mm along the entire length of the enclosure. The enclosure frame overlaps the bracket on the inner side. When directed at the join water can get into the bracket itself between the bracket and enclosure frame and out the other side at the corresponding join. I have no seal in place here. What I need to know is, is it normal to seal this join between the wall bracket and enclosure frame and if so is clear silicone the best option?

Thanks.

DLBuild wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Joey.
    I think we I may not have made the problem clear enough.
    Basically the wall bracket runs from the tray to the top of the shower enclosure at each wall. The entire quadrant shower enclosure is built standalone and offered into the wall brackets. The overlap from the shower enclosure frame to the wall brackets is about 40mm along the entire length of the enclosure. The enclosure frame overlaps the bracket on the inner side. When directed at the join water can get into the bracket itself between the bracket and enclosure frame and out the other side at the corresponding join. I have no seal in place here. What I need to know is, is it normal to seal this join between the wall bracket and enclosure frame and if so is clear silicone the best option?

Thanks.

Its hard to tell without pictures and I am well up on these. But if in doubt you can use a neutral silicone clear... It must be neutral as an acidtoxy will attack the metal frame. This wont matter too much if it stays there but if you have to remove the silicone it will stain the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

the wall brackets are called profiles, they're the long aluminium pieces screwed to the wall. these are siliconed and screwed, the silicone is applied the full length of the profile in the middle so it can't be seen on the edges when put on the wall. the enclosure is then offered up and when it's sitting correctly screw it to the profiles no silicone. the joint between tray and bottom of enclosure and is then siliconed on the outside only. Either end of this silicone bead should return for about 1 inch up the walls. Hope this helps.

DLBuild wrote: »
    I've recently installed a shower enclosure to a 1000mm quadrant shower tray and sealed where wall brackets meet tiles and where enclosure meets the tray. The unit is leaking between the wall brackets and enclosure itself. I feel I've omitted sealing where the enclosure meets the wall bracket and wanted to know if this should definitely be done? Obviously I'd do this on the outside of the shower enclosure but wondered would clear silicone be sufficient since white will obviously stand out against the chrome/aluminium finish. Hope someone else has had a similar problem and can advise.

Thanks in advance.
    the wall brackets are called profiles, they're the long aluminium pieces screwed to the wall. these are siliconed and screwed, the silicone is applied the full length of the profile in the middle so it can't be seen on the edges when put on the wall. the enclosure is then offered up and when it's sitting correctly screw it to the profiles no silicone. the joint between tray and bottom of enclosure and is then siliconed on the outside only. Either end of this silicone bead should return for about 1 inch up the walls. Hope this helps.

Thats what i took it to mean but from reading the op's position he seems to understand this. In otherwords I dont think the simple problem is the simple solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement