Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini humidor - questions

Options
  • 06-05-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm partial to the occasional cigar. I got a present of a couple of cohibas and a mini humidor today.

21KeHrIIYsL._SS500_.jpg

So I can screw off the bottom and there's a little sponge there, grand. It says that the top is a cutter but it looks like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=112957&stc=1&d=1273156417

Now, I'm probably just more accustomed with 'guillotine' style cutters but how does this work? As you can see, the sharp ring is smaller in diameter than the cigar. Do I simply just push the end of the cigar down onto this ring?

Terribly stupid question probably but I'd rather not risk ruining a cohiba :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Hi Vim Fuego,

The cutter you are referring to is known as a "punch" cutter and it is a popular alternative to the guillotine cutter.

To cut the cigar, you simply place the cutter in the centre of the cigar's cap and push/twist the cigar. Pull it out gently and you have a nice, perfectly round and smaller cut.

Many prefer this method to the traditional guillotine, as the smoke concentrates when passing through the smaller cut (as well as the tar).

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've never been fond of punches. I always feel that they are compressing the tobacco. On large guage cigars I use a notch cutter and keep the guillotine for smaller guages.
    Vim Fuego: With your new humidor I suggest you read about seasoning it. Linked is a good pointer but by no means the most definitave.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

That's weird, I uploaded a 2nd picture in my original post of the punch cutter but it's gone now. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice, I used the punch cutter last night and I quite liked the result.

Advertisement