Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laguna oil top up

Options
  • 06-05-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

My wifes 05 Renault Laguna`s dash is telling her the oil needs topping up soon, is this just a matter of topping up the oil, will the dash reset itself or do i need to bring it to a garage to stop it indicating it needs oil on the dash board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Once you top it up it should stop automatically.

there is a chance the oil is fine but the pressure is wrong, that would need a garage to look at it..
    but very rare that...

top it up turn on engine and you should be ok...just make sure you top it up correctly using the dipstick to check your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

^what robtri said plus make sure you get the right oil for your car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

That light isn't an oil level light, it's an oil pressure light. The problem could simply be low oil, check the dipstick before you do anything, if it's low, top it up and check again, if it's not low you'll need to bring it to a garage. Could be a few things causing the oil system to lose pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That light isn't an oil level light, it's an oil pressure light.

He didnt say it was a light.

On startup, Renaults give an oil level reading (on some it a little bar graph, others say 'oil level ok' until it's not) .

The standard (danger) oil light is still there too but obviously doesnt come on unless theres a loss in oil pressure.

OP, if it's the oil level indicator, as I said, it's checked each time by the car on startup so once it's at the proper level it'll read ok on the next startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Running a car low on oil is the most sure way to knacker the engine. Sort is asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Actually off topic a bit my wifes 07 passat, The dipstick is impossible to read as its black. A pure cock up for the germans making it this colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Thanks for the replies, i checked the dip stick and its slightly lower than it should be just needed to confirm if the dash will reset itself if i top it up myself.

Advertisement