Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla insurance.

Options
  • 06-05-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

An insurance company is looking for 400 euro from me for one years cover on a bog standard toyota corolla 1.4. Im 30 years old with a full driving licence & its only 3rd party fire & theft.

Is that cheeky??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you got quotes from other insurance companies for the same car with similar cover? That is really the only way to know if they are expensive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kingofthekop

My bro is 33 with full licence and he was quoted €700. No points or endorsments on a 94 carolla. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have you got quotes from other insurance companies for the same car with similar cover? That is really the only way to know if they are expensive or not.

True enough. Any recommendations? Im picking up the car tomorrow!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kingofthekop

True enough. Any recommendations? Im picking up the car tomorrow!!!:eek:

123.ie were cheap for me last year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Try 123.ie generally they seem to be the best around at the momment.

but generally shop around see what yeh can get.

Beaten to it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Try 123.ie generally they seem to be the best around at the momment.

but generally shop around see what yeh can get.

Beaten to it:rolleyes:

Literally checked 1 minute ago. 420 euro they qouted me. Looks like the feckers are all offering around the same price.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Literally checked 1 minute ago. 420 euro they qouted me. Looks like the feckers are all offering around the same price.:rolleyes:
    Sit down with the phone and the Golden Pages and call every ins co and a good selection of brokers - it's the only way.

thats madness wouldve thought youd get a cheaper quote than that. How many years no claims have you?

Im paying 950 on a provisional 3 yr no claims on a 2.0l petrol with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

An insurance company is looking for 400 euro from me for one years cover on a bog standard toyota corolla 1.4. Im 30 years old with a full driving licence & its only 3rd party fire & theft.

Is that cheeky??

Only option is to hit the internet or phone and get a stack of quotes.

What is the year/value of the car - sometimes comprehensive can come in cheaper - certain insurers discourage TPFT business with high quotes.

Get the same quote both Comp & TPFT

If you take a comp policy (given you were prepared to accept full risk with TPFT) try increasing the excess to €500 and this will bring down the cost.

Do you have an parent etc (with own car) who you could name on the policy - having an older named driver may also reduce the cost.

You really have to make some effort but an hours work could easily save you €100

Try 123.ie, AA.ie, Aviva, Axa, FBD etc etc.

Also try some insurance brokers - I always recomend Pat Britton Insurance in Donegal (also online) have own and wife's car with them for 3 years and always shop around at renewal, find them cheapest.

thats madness wouldve thought youd get a cheaper quote than that. How many years no claims have you?

Im paying 950 on a provisional 3 yr no claims on a 2.0l petrol with them.

4 years no claims, no penalty points. Whats funny is the fact that i was insured on a big 3Ltr td commercial 4x4 for 320 euro!!??
    A potentially much more dangerous vehicle compared to a little corolla i would have thought.:confused:

• Advertisement

4 years no claims, no penalty points. Whats funny is the fact that i was insured on a big 3Ltr td commercial 4x4 for 320 euro!!??
    A potentially much more dangerous vehicle compared to a little corolla i would have thought.:confused:

Yeh commercials are always cheaper to insure than a car.

Insurance comapny logic doesnt always make sense. A lot of factors come into your insurance value of car/ were you live/ what you work as etc.

If you do try pat britton insurance, check what the excess on the quote is.
    They offered me 1100 fully comp but with a excess of 4000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If you do try pat britton insurance, check what the excess on the quote is.
    They offered me 1100 fully comp but with a excess of 4000 euro.

Whomever the quote is from - check the excess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

wait, what's wrong with 400 euro insurance? tbh I don't think you will get much cheaper than that anyway... no matter what you're driving... insurance companies still have to make a profit and there's gotta be some price they won't go below...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure the policies are similar. Some insurance companies will include some benefits while others charge extra for them. It is also common for some insurance companies to have higher excesses on the policies that others.

So the cheapest quote doesn't always mean the best cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

If i taught that i could get you a cheaper quote i'd offer to check but being honest you best bet is to sit down and check out:

123.ie
    zurich.ie
    nononsence.ie
    chill.ie

There aren't many brokers who will beat the direct insures on price.

In sayin that I wouldnt have taught that €400 is that bad. If you car has recently gone over 8 years old then some insurers will levy this because parts can be harder to source if the vehicle is involved in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Cipher wrote: »
    If i taught that i could get you a cheaper quote i'd offer to check but being honest you best bet is to sit down and check out:

123.ie
    zurich.ie
    nononsence.ie
    chill.ie

There aren't many brokers who will beat the direct insures on price.

In sayin that I wouldnt have taught that €400 is that bad. If you car has recently gone over 8 years old then some insurers will levy this because parts can be harder to source if the vehicle is involved in an accident.

Brokers will beat direct insurers almost every single time.

btw 123, nononsence and chill.ie are all brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Brokers will beat direct insurers almost every single time.

btw 123, nononsence and chill.ie are all brokers.

Nononsence is the trading name for FBD insurance. The other two as you said are brokers.
    What i said was about direct insurers. Those that only deal directly with the public and not brokers.

thebiglad wrote: »

Also try some insurance brokers - I always recomend Pat Britton Insurance in Donegal (also online) have own and wife's car with them for 3 years and always shop around at renewal, find them cheapest.

Good call mate. Gave them a call today & they said they'd do it for 320 euro.

Cheers.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Very lucky Im dishing out 900 euro for a 99 citreon 1.4 and I'm 30 with a full licence five years never had an accident or claim with 2 years no claims bonus..the 3 previous years was swapping from company vehicles.

Very lucky Im dishing out 900 euro for a 99 citreon 1.4 and I'm 30 with a full licence five years never had an accident or claim with 2 years no claims bonus..the 3 previous years was swapping from company vehicles.

Thats just wrong. For a 1.4????:eek: Surely you can get a better deal if you look around?

I'd rather walk than pay that sort of money.

Wait are you taking the piss?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thats just wrong. For a 1.4????:eek: Surely you can get a better deal if you look around?

Thats mad have you tried mc carthys fonecrusher.

Im 31 and paying 610 on a A8 3.0 tdi 07 for me and herself fully comp and 350 on a 07 passat again for both of us. I find mc carthys in fermoy fantastic. Their customer service is second to none.

SARASON wrote: »
    Thats mad have you tried mc carthys fonecrusher.

I haven't but do you think they could beat Pat britton's offer of 320 euro for one 3rd party f&f??

I suppose theres no harm in trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I haven't but do you think they could beat Pat britton's offer of 320 euro for one 3rd party f&f??

I suppose theres no harm in trying.

Its worth trying them all. One direct are ok too. The prices change daily for each company so spend a while ringing around..

Frigging rang everywhere...... was getting 1200 then got 840 off 123.ie took it and with the monthly dd went up to 900....scandalous i know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Some expensive premiums you guys are paying compared to me.

1.6 a3.
    full license 1 year
    1 year ncb
    24yo.

Paying €1000 for fully comp with insure.ie. They originally wanted around 1250 but i got them to match quinn direct. Pretty happy with that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've found that if you give the insurance companies the correct value for an older car the price goes up. I never value any car at less the €3000 when looking for quotes.

It doesn't mater if you over value your car as they only ever pay out book value, but never under insure.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've found that if you give the insurance companies the correct value for an older car the price goes up. I never value any car at less the €3000 when looking for quotes.

It doesn't mater if you over value your car as they only ever pay out book value, but never under insure.

sounds like good advice del...

Advertisement