Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's actually gotten a DOE then?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

I did , today , and one a couple of days ago .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Did they test using the RSA proposed criteria (windows etc) ?

corkbuoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I can only assume so , they spent 2 hours at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I did , today , and one a couple of days ago .
    Why!! :confused::confused:
    Despite what the RSA would have us believe it is not yet a legal requirement here in the good ould RoI as 'motor caravans' have not been included as a category of vehicle to be tested in any of the S.I's. currently on our statute books relating to vehicle roadworthiness testing.
    Have a look here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0771.html and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0395.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was it expensive ? Did they give you any feedback at all apart from "it's ok" or something like that ?

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Why!! :confused::confused:
    Despite what the RSA would have us believe it is not yet a legal requirement here in the good ould RoI as 'motor caravans' have not been included as a category of vehicle to be tested in any of the S.I's. currently on our statute books relating to vehicle roadworthiness testing.
    Have a look here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0771.html and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0395.html

See that's maybe ok for a private individual... but We sell motorhomes right? And it gives the buyer a bit of confidence if it has a DOE , like buying a car with an NCT . We don't enjoy the hassle of getting the test done , or paying for it , but the majority of prospective buyers are worried about the test . And anyway , you can throw all the statutes you like around , but some day (soon) it will become a legal requirement to have a Vehicle Roadworthy Test on our motorhomes . And I hope it's sooner rather than later . So I'd rather be ahead of the game , rather than trying to play catch-up .
    No offence intended.
    deadl0ck wrote: »
    Was it expensive ? Did they give you any feedback at all apart from "it's ok" or something like that ?

ummm... I can't remember , 'cos I didn't write the cheque , but it was somewhere around 100 euro . Feedback... well TBH , I didn't ask , because I was in a hurry to get back to work! Apart from them telling me everything was spot on .

One other , happy note... It was a LHD today , and they were had no issue with the BeamBenders I applied to the headlamps .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I had my camper tested DOE style on Tuesday. It was tested in the same way as a NCT, no check of windows, no testing for weight, no shaking it about. Test took 45 minutes, passed without any problems and it cost 85 euro here in Mayo. They told me that they more or less treat it as they would a light commercial but make allowances for the fact that it isn't!. If I take the pass paper to the Motor Tax Office it will cost me another 6 euro but I was told that I don't need to do that until I next have it taxed. Then I will argue against that charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    See that's maybe ok for a private individual... but We sell motorhomes right? And it gives the buyer a bit of confidence if it has a DOE , like buying a car with an NCT . We don't enjoy the hassle of getting the test done , or paying for it , but the majority of prospective buyers are worried about the test . And anyway , you can throw all the statutes you like around , but some day (soon) it will become a legal requirement to have a Vehicle Roadworthy Test on our motorhomes . And I hope it's sooner rather than later . So I'd rather be ahead of the game , rather than trying to play catch-up .
    No offence intended.

In their Consultation Document the RSA have said that the same timings as for cars will be used ie. four years from first reg. and then every two years. Did you get certs as per above or are they still only issuing yearly certs.
    As you say it will (must) become law to comply with Europe, but personally I don't believe in pre-empting new regulations that are coming down the line eg. annual testing is supposed to be coming in from 2011 for vehicles over ten years old but I'm not heading to the NCT station with the wife's 11 year old Ka this year, a year on since its last test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

In their Consultation Document the RSA have said that the same timings as for cars will be used ie. four years from first reg. and then every two years. Did you get certs as per above or are they still only issuing yearly certs.
    As you say it will (must) become law to comply with Europe, but personally I don't believe in pre-empting new regulations that are coming down the line eg. annual testing is supposed to be coming in from 2011 for vehicles over ten years old but I'm not heading to the NCT station with the wife's 11 year old Ka this year, a year on since its last test.
    I get what you're saying, but I think Aidan is just trying to provide good reassurance to customers. If I was thinking about buying and I knew that there may be an NCT on the horizon I would want the camper NCT'd before I buy it !

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but I think Aidan is just trying to provide good reassurance to customers. If I was thinking about buying and I knew that there may be an NCT on the horizon I would want the camper NCT'd before I buy it !

Cheers for that!

Now , all I was wondering who'd gotten tested so far , we've already had the debate on testing in the other threads .

niloc1951 wrote: »

I bought my camper last year on ebay and went to the U.K. to collect it.
    It's over 4 years old but because it had a full 12 months MOT cert. I felt confident about it and it was fine.

I would not buy ANY vehicle that was over 4 years old unless it had a test cert. I'm not a mechanic so that cert tells me that, at least in theory, the vehicle is sound.
    The fact that it has now passed a test here makes me more than happy to take it anywhere.

• Advertisement

And after seeing some imported vans , let me tell you the DOE is more stringent than an MOT! As a trader , I'd also be happier to trade-in a van with a DOE , than one without . Honestly folks , you wouldn't believe the stuff I see on some Campers ,that people thought were "fine" .
    For instance... this is a pair of Ducato Crossmembers , the one under the rad , that ties the two chassis legs together . Pretty important in a torquey FWD van you'll agree!

generalpics077.jpg

The lower one came out of a van aged about 10years old..that was allegedly "well serviced" .

Well done Aidan_M_M

Now who thinks a test is not needed.

Q.E.D. I think.

Advertisement