Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Representing myself in court

Options
  • 06-05-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I am representing myself tomorrow in the district court. The case is a commercial one and the disputed amount of money does not justify hiring a solicitor/barrister as their fees would exceed this amount.

Anyway I am looking for some advice on protocol and procedure. I will obviously dress for the occasion, will leave my mobile outside of the court and not refer to the judge as anything but that.

Any general advice from anyone who has done this before ?

Thanks

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've done it but it was for a road traffic offence. It may be worth talking to a solicitor to get the best advice, you don't need them to go in with you, just get some pointers.
    Just make sure all your duck are in a row and you have all your proof to back up any thing you say.
    Is it the small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

No it's the district court.

I have spoken to a Barrister friend but was just looking for feedback from people that have done it before, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

I am representing myself tomorrow in the district court. The case is a commercial one and the disputed amount of money does not justify hiring a solicitor/barrister as their fees would exceed this amount.

Anyway I am looking for some advice on protocol and procedure. I will obviously dress for the occasion, will leave my mobile outside of the court and not refer to the judge as anything but that.

Any general advice from anyone who has done this before ?

Thanks

Paul.

If you are bringing in documentation make sure you have photcopies with you (one for yourself, one for the judge, one for ther otherside and one spare)

Also just to let you be aware if you are a small business and a registered company you technically can't represent the company in court. If it is just yourself you're representing then you'll be fine in that regard.
    Good luck!S

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I had no bother, it was a bit nerve racking as I was on my own but I was well presented and polite, the judge was nice and friendly ( there were a lot of toe rags in court that day, I probably looked more like a solicitor than a criminal).
    The case went in my favour. I'd be happy to represent myself again. It was pretty straight forward looking back on it. Not sure how it would go in your case when your looking for money.

I am happy my case is watertight (famous last words ???) and I am looking forward to it. I cannot see any need for legal arguement in this and should be a pretty straight case of arbitration for the judge.

• Advertisement

shaneybaby wrote: »
    If you are bringing in documentation make sure you have photcopies with you (one for yourself, one for the judge, one for ther otherside and one spare)

Also just to let you be aware if you are a small business and a registered company you technically can't represent the company in court. If it is just yourself you're representing then you'll be fine in that regard.
    Good luck!S

Thanks for that, I have all the copies and I was personally summoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 creepyc1

Hi there, I am an independent radio producer hoping to make a programme about people who decide to represent themselves in court. If anyone has gone through / is going through this experience and would like to talk about it (anon if necessary) please get in contact. Thanks

creepyc1 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am an independent radio producer hoping to make a programme about people who decide to represent themselves in court. If anyone has gone through / is going through this experience and would like to talk about it (anon if necessary) please get in contact. Thanks

My case was not very exciting but I'm happy to talk to you if you want.

Advertisement