Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I right for believing this..?

Options
  • 06-05-2010 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

In my opinion being gay is disgusting and stupid. That's how I was brought up and that is how my opinion will always be.

Anyway I try to keep my opinion to myself as much as possible meaning I don't try to deliberately make gay people uncomfortable in public. All of my friends believe this too.

My question however is, Is my opinion right? I mean its just wrong for 2 guys or 2 girls to be romantically involved.

If you are gay please don't be offended as we are all entitled to out opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kmpfan wrote: »
    In my opinion being gay is disgusting and stupid. That's how I was brought up and that is how my opinion will always be.

Anyway I try to keep my opinion to myself as much as possible meaning I don't try to deliberately make gay people uncomfortable in public. All of my friends believe this too.

My question however is, Is my opinion right? I mean its just wrong for 2 guys or 2 girls to be romantically involved.

Its just as disgusting and stupid to be a bigot, see how that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wouldn't say your opinion is right. I'd say it's uninformed as that's how you were brought up.

I don't see how you think it's stupid though. I can understand how people think it's wrong even if I don't agree with them. But stupid?

Also while you think all your friends believe it too chances are not all of them do. Some might even be gay themselves but they might be too scared to admit it because you think it's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Answer: No.
    However, you are entitled to have your own opinions, just like some people believe that evolution did not happen. However, just because you have this opinion does not make it any more right, it just demonstrates your character.

Look at it this way - everyone is entitled to happiness. Everyone deserves to be with someone they love and who loves them. Beyond that what is your problem? Is it that you are threatened by people finding happiness or is it just your background (family / religion) have caused you to view the world through hate filled eyes?

(Hate might appear to be strong - but when you believe strongly that something is wrong - and you deny in your own mind other peoples right to happiness I think this is a weak sounding word).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

In my opinion being gay is disgusting and stupid. That's how I was brought up and that is how my opinion will always be. .

Agreed with krudler. You are a bigot. That is not just my opinion. That is a fact.

There are plenty of gay people using boards and despite you saying "If you are gay please don't be offended as we are all entitled to out opinions" that doesn't cut it. You need to keep your ignorant mouth shut and not ask such stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

It is neither 'disgusting' nor 'stupid' to be born of any sexual orientation. Neither is it wrong for two people of any sex to be entitled to a loving partner and a private life. People have no control over their sexual orientation, but they do have the right to live their lives without hiding who they are for fear of being labelled disgusting or stupid. You only happen to have been born straight, it's nothing to feel superior about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Why is it wrong? Why is it any more disgusting and stupid than fancying blondes, or tall people or any other of the variations of tastes we all have. In my experience people who are fervently anti-anything tend to be fighting an inclination of their own, ironically often towards the very thing they are so prejudiced against. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Guys, just copped from searching the op's other posts that he's 19.
    So maybe he's less of a bigot than just someone who's very immature and hasn't learned to control his brain to mouth/keyboard filter.
    Maybe his post should be moved to the LGB board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

OP do you suscribe to every prejudice or opinion you grew up with? Or is it just the school of thought regarding homosexuality? I think you should make a conscious effort to educate yourself about the things that have been so impressed on you. Everybody has experienced biased views growing up through their family, their community and/or their peers. However most healthy people learn to question or refute them. I understand when you are young it's very difficult to see outside the immediate community you grew up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,831 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

You know that you are going to offend people by posting this, you even admit that you keep your opinions to yourself in public.

Clearly you do realise that your opinion is not right, or at least not tolerable, if you are being so tight-lipped about it.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were posting this just for a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Your a bigot and I believe that bigots are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Oh the irony of ops username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Personal Issues is for advice not for validating opinions that you have no intention of changing

I see no good coming of this thread so am locking it

If you want a discussion of the rights and wrongs of your opinion I suggest the Humanities forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement