Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are some maps 1:30k scale

Options
  • 06-05-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me why Harvey maps and the new East West Maps are 1:30k scale??

I like the fact that there is a lot more detail than the 1:50k OSI Maps but the scale is difficult for measuring distances on,

I know you can get a Romer but still its tricky for longer legs,

Why are they not 1:25k which would make more sense to me???

Any thoughts???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm guessing here (although hopefully Barry from East West will chime in and tell us) that it's down to a) standard paper sizes and b) the desire to fit as much on the available paper as possible. Given a certain paper size , changing to 1:25k would have meant less coverage.

If you think that's weird, the latest British Mountain maps from Harvey, made in cooperation with the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) are at 1:40,000. Mind you there is a romer for that scale on the latest Silva compasses. Great maps though, printed on polyethlene and totally indestructible,

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Alun wrote: »
    I'm guessing here (although hopefully Barry from East West will chime in and tell us) that it's down to a) standard paper sizes and b) the desire to fit as much on the available paper as possible. Given a certain paper size , changing to 1:25k would have meant less coverage.

Maybe Eastwest could considering adding 1:30k Romers for purchase to their website, I'd certainly order one when I'm ordering their new maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Maybe Eastwest could considering adding 1:30k Romers for purchase to their website, I'd certainly order one when I'm ordering their new maps.
    Me too. Harvey sell them, but the postage would probably be more than the romer is worth :)

BTW, why is it called a romer? Funny name.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

After a few tries i got a 1:30k romer from the great outdoors with free postage,

They sent me the wrong one first though but they took it back no bother and swapped it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

ste2006 wrote: »
    After a few tries i got a 1:30k romer from the great outdoors with free postage,

They sent me the wrong one first though but they took it back no bother and swapped it

Yes, I got one of those little Harvey's romer cards in G.O. a couple of months ago while buying my first "grownup" compass - was frustrated to find they didn't seem to have any compasses with the 1:30 included. I would prefer the idea of 1:25 being the standard for products like Harvey's and East-West - although it means slightly less coverage from a given sheet size, there are always going to be compromises/conundrums in choosing what to cover in how many sheets. (And on the plus side for readability, text and symbols could then either be made slightly bigger for better visibility or better spaced to alleviate crowding.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I think the 1:30 allows them show a bit more detail eg Harveys are very good for ground detail. They also sell 1:30 roamers I believe

Advertisement