Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points help

Options
  • 06-05-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Right was told I should post this here. Got penalty points this evening I have recently passed my test but haven't had time to apply or a full license yet. Tried to explain this to garda and she told me to produce my license within 10 days. So do I go to the tax office in the morning and apply for a full license and hope it arrives in time. I could bring in my provisional and my certificate of competantancy either but im afraid she will turn around and try do me for driving unaccompanied even though iv passed my test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Your driver number should be the same, so once you receive your pinky the points will be applied to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

jdooley28 wrote: »
    Right was told I should post this here. Got penalty points this evening I have recently passed my test but haven't had time to apply or a full license yet. Tried to explain this to garda and she told me to produce my license within 10 days. So do I go to the tax office in the morning and apply for a full license and hope it arrives in time. I could bring in my provisional and my certificate of competantancy either but im afraid she will turn around and try do me for driving unaccompanied even though iv passed my test.

This is a common accurance.

The points will be applied as the number on learner permit and the licence will be the same

In regards producing....you were asked for a driving licence....not a learner permit. You are driving on a learner permit until you take your cert of competence to a licencing authority. Your new licence will have an issue date from the day you get it. So when you produce it there will be no record of a licence before that date.....so im afraid you can be summons for no licence. This happens everyweek in court, normally a small fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

If you go to the motor tax office oyu will get your license there and then - produce that and see how you get on with the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

so im afraid you can be summons for no licence. This happens everyweek in court, normally a small fine.

would that mean then he would pay the fine for no licence but not get points as he did not have a licence?

would that mean then he would pay the fine for no licence but not get points as he did not have a licence?

Definelty get the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

As of the new legislation your points for a learner permit are infact attached to your personal file in the licencing authority (hense why your file number, the black one on licence, remains the same). They are not attached to your licence as such until you receive a full licence.

Before you throw it back....yes it does mean learner permit holders can get points, its just held on their file and not licence.

Sounds silly but it make sense....in a weird roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

murphym7 wrote: »
    If you go to the motor tax office oyu will get your license there and then - produce that and see how you get on with the guards.

Wel I went there this morning but was told it could only be sent out as soon as possible and not be made up on the spot.

Wel I went there this morning but was told it could only be sent out as soon as possible and not be made up on the spot.

That sucks - I was able to get mine there and then. Unless its a work to rule rubbish or something.

Advertisement