Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card on disability allowence!?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello everyone, i'm on disability and can't leave home often. I'm just wondering does anyone know of bank that offers credit cards to a person that is unable to work and is on disability payment?? Thanks in advance for any input:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I doubt it.

There are some pre-pay products which are are availible though. that is if you are looking to use it for online purchases etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hello everyone, i'm on disability and can't leave home often. I'm just wondering does anyone know of bank that offers credit cards to a person that is unable to work and is on disability payment?? Thanks in advance for any input:)
    I had the same problem about a year ago, was looking for a credit card while on the dole, no chance, but when I went back to college they gave me one without even asking about income. So I doubt you'd get a credit card while on state benefits.

I got a letter from Permanent TSB the other day saying all their ATM cards are being replaced with Visa Debit cards, which I think is accepted almost everywhere online, so check that out, should be just as useful as a credit card as long as you weren't planning to pay later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

3v,wirecard,ukash or world wide money can be used to buy stuff online...their all prepay as well..

I know its not what you are looking for but i suppose if you are stuck,you could use them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Thread moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions - you might get more help there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 juggles1985

I doubt it.

There are some pre-pay products which are are availible though. that is if you are looking to use it for online purchases etc.

I'm already using 3v, i'm their no. 1 customer lol. I'm going on my first holiday in a while thats why I thought the credit card would be handy in case I run into any money troubles.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I had the same problem about a year ago, was looking for a credit card while on the dole, no chance, but when I went back to college they gave me one without even asking about income. So I doubt you'd get a credit card while on state benefits.

I got a letter from Permanent TSB the other day saying all their ATM cards are being replaced with Visa Debit cards, which I think is accepted almost everywhere online, so check that out, should be just as useful as a credit card as long as you weren't planning to pay later. :)

That would be a handy thing to have and i will look into it cheers amacachi. Its for money i wouldn't have in my account though so I can enjoy my holiday without worrying about spending all my money and being carful. Its really annoying because I have a perfect credit rating. I'm opefully going to college aswell in September, they better give me one then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Tesco. You only need to be earning 10k which is more than the disability.

If all else fails you can use the 3v cards.

ps: NIB customers are being handed out Laser cards now as there is so many branch closures. Might be another option

Tesco. You only need to be earning 10k which is more than the disability.

If all else fails you can use the 3v cards.

ps: NIB customers are being handed out Laser cards now as there is so many branch closures. Might be another option

Thats great Joey thanks, i'm going to apply for that Tesco Visa online right now. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

I'm already using 3v, i'm their no. 1 customer lol. I'm going on my first holiday in a while thats why I thought the credit card would be handy in case I run into any money troubles.

How are you going on holiday if you can't leave home often?

No saying you are faking, but there have been people caught for claiming disability and being photographed on holidays doing wind-surfing etc and losing disability and/or jobs

How are you going on holiday if you can't leave home often?

No saying you are faking, but there have been people caught for claiming disability and being photographed on holidays doing wind-surfing etc and losing disability and/or jobs

Not that its any of your business but I was abused as a child and sevearly bullied at school and spent so much time alone in my room that I ended up developing agoraphobia, I can't go out alone but i'm fine with somone I can trust who I know won't leave me.

Because i'm on disability I can't go on a holiday/get a credit card!?

• Advertisement

P.S. I'll be taking my own photo's of me wind surfing and enjoying life like everybody else!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Not that its any of your business but I was abused as a child and sevearly bullied at school and spent so much time alone in my room that I ended up developing agoraphobia, I can't go out alone but i'm fine with somone I can trust who I know won't leave me.

Didn't mean to offend ya - apologies!

i read your post as havin a physical disability (back etc) and was offering advice more than criticising you.

Didn't mean to offend ya - apologies!

i read your post as havin a physical disability (back etc) and was offering advice more than criticising you.

I didn't put up a post as having a physical disability of anything to do with my back, I have no idea where you got that from I only joined yesterday to get advice about a credit card.

Apology accepted, but my case is genuine and I have no fear of being "found out", if anything this is a good sign of recovery for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

bit harsh there kwinabeeste, OP looking for advice only, not to be insulted. Assumptions are dangerous.

Anways to be honest OP you may get credit card from tesco but they have all gotten a lot stricter in these time and i personally agree with the stricter criteria these days.

I would be suprised if you get i based on earnings solely but if you have a good history with your bank then you may get one.

chris85 wrote: »
    bit harsh there kwinabeeste, OP looking for advice only, not to be insulted. Assumptions are dangerous.

Anways to be honest OP you may get credit card from tesco but they have all gotten a lot stricter in these time and i personally agree with the stricter criteria these days.

I would be suprised if you get i based on earnings solely but if you have a good history with your bank then you may get one.

Appreciate that Chris:)

And your right about Tesco the criteria is basically the same. I applied to MBNA and Tesco, if neither approve my application i'll leave it there. It was only if I ran into trouble on holiday or had other emergencies anyway. Thanks for everyones help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm not being funny, but with such a low income a credit card is a very dangerous weapon to have. If you really want one I would get a card with a max limit of 500 eur.

In this current climate I'm miffed as to why the banks are throwing out credit cards to students considering the vast majority won't be gettin jobs in the near term.

On the other hand, the banks should be more active in the "3V" marketspace given the links they have already to the likes of Visa / Mastercard. It sure would be a fool proof way of giving someone access to a card (and making revenue) lets say in the instance of a declined credit card application.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I did.

Bank of Ireland mastercard within weeks of arriving in Ireland from the UK.

I was on Incapacity Benefit then, for decades, and am on retirement pension now.

Ask where your account is.

We are responsible people, we oldies and disabled. But we have needs, indeed more so than active people , of goods and services online.

Supplies for the craftwork I do for funding work with the homeless ofetn have to come in from the US.. The limit I have is fine and I keep up with payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

In a word NO! It's very unlikely you'll get a credit card. Your best best is a prepaid option. You might get one with a small limit from your own bank but it depends on who they are. They have been known to give credit cards with limits of say, 200-500 euro, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Sorry I couldn't say anything more positive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ruby card is worth a look, it's fees don't seem that expensive compared to other prepaid cards. http://www.rubycard.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

OP - I must say I do sympathise with your past problems and the legacy they have left you with.

However, being on a fixed limited income it would be ill advised to have a credit card. The temptation to use it would be too much. The money you have in your account should cover holiday spends AND contingency.

although, I am confused as to how, being agoraphobic, you can go on holiday when you cannot work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Visa debit card?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why re-awaken a almost 8 month old thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement