Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV - Site Monitoring

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All, I hope to commence a self-build (in the middle of nowhere!) within the next 12 months and want to set up a monitoring camera outside (and up a tree!) to record site progress over the duration of the build (might also help keeping an eye on the contractors hours!!!). I know nothing about CCTV so I will be contacting someone local to advise on final system, just wanted advice from the experts out there so I know what I should be looking for.

Ideally the system should record in colour, timed or motion sensor and be in digital format - the idea is that this will also serve as a permanent security camera. Any advice would be gratefully recieved (apologies if this is in the wrong section :confused:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Well in one way your very lucky, because its never been a cheapeer time to buy this equipment. Even though most CCTV installers are good people there are a lot who are still charging ridiculus pricing for chinese rubbish. So advice number one:

1. Get yourself at least 2 or 3 quotes

2. Dont believe any of the hype, if you get a quote on a machine post the PDF of specs here and Ill tell you if its any good.

3. For domestic CCTV you probably shouldnt pay any more than 400-600 euro for the DVR (4ch that is) and the cameras well they can vary

4. if this is a site you will need to store this unit in a decent environment, DVR's do not like cold or damp conditions

5. You will need broadband and try and get a static IP

6. The cameras will be at least 100 euro plus, again most are chinese so post the specs. You'd probably be looking for a VF 3-10mm and IR for darker evenings

7. For the sake of a few extra euro get a UPS because site power can be dirty electricity

Thats about it I think, let me know if you have any other questions. Oh ya, sorry try and get a H.264 DVR as the streaming it much better on them.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

i work for a company that installs and monitors exactly what you are looking for. PM me and I can send you the company details etc and you can have a look and we can quote you then if you want

Well we can all quote him, Im in the business myself, he asked for advice not pitches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

FusionNet wrote: »
    Well we can all quote him, Im in the business myself, he asked for advice not pitches...

I may be in Africa but I'm still watching, please report posts if you have a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Well excuse me for trying to help.......

• Advertisement

irishejit wrote: »
    Well excuse me for trying to help.......

The same also applies to you, report posts if you have a problem with them.

Now can people get back on topic please.

rmacm wrote: »
    I may be in Africa but I'm still watching, please report posts if you have a problem with them.

In Africa?? You on Hols or you working all over the place still?!! Man alive your eyes, those damn eyes!!! And as for reporting I dont like getting people in trouble... I wasnt Pitching Rory as you can see I gave a breakdown of what would need to be done, Ive no interest in trying to sell... Ive sadi my piece so if OP needs anymore advice Id be glad to help...

As for trying to help Irishejit. You probably know its frowned upon to try and flog stuff here. If you really want to help let everyone know what set up you would recommend, that way when other people read your post they see your offering solutions not being a sales man. Boards is all about educating the masses.

In Africa?? You on Hols or you working all over the place still?!! Man alive your eyes, those damn eyes!!! And as for reporting I dont like getting people in trouble... I wasnt Pitching Rory as you can see I gave a breakdown of what would need to be done, Ive no interest in trying to sell... Ive sadi my piece so if OP needs anymore advice Id be glad to help...

As for trying to help Irishejit. You probably know its frowned upon to try and flog stuff here. If you really want to help let everyone know what set up you would recommend, that way when other people read your post they see your offering solutions not being a sales man. Boards is all about educating the masses.

Reporting posts doesn't neccessarily mean someone will get in trouble. It just makes it easier for me or Gavin to keep an eye on the place in case something needs action.

As for Africa, working no holidays for me until June.

Ah I see very good I didnt realise!! Thanks for the help.. , I hope you get proper holidays unlike me, the clients still want support!!!

PS to original Poster, I meant to say if you cant get a static IP for the broadband dont worry there are options, just make sure you get the best package you can afford... Remember its the upload on the buildiing site that you will need the bandwidth on not the download...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

thanks for the good advice fusionnet, i probably should have mentioned that this is a remote rural greenfield site with no broadband access (and not likely until completion of the build) so i would need something that will record locally (at least until the build is finished) that i could then upload to laptop at whatever intervals. In terms of protecting the DVR, would an insulated waterproof box be sufficient? - i presume this can be located some distance away from the camera(s) and have wireless connectivity?

Maybe I am better off getting a simpler/more basic system initially then getting a more permanent solution on completion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

PROJECT K wrote: »
    thanks for the good advice fusionnet, i probably should have mentioned that this is a remote rural greenfield site with no broadband access (and not likely until completion of the build) so i would need something that will record locally (at least until the build is finished) that i could then upload to laptop at whatever intervals. In terms of protecting the DVR, would an insulated waterproof box be sufficient? - i presume this can be located some distance away from the camera(s) and have wireless connectivity?

Maybe I am better off getting a simpler/more basic system initially then getting a more permanent solution on completion?

If you are just recording time lapse style, you mightn't need a full DVR, maybe something like this: http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p1343e/ which can record to SD card.

With regards power - would a large enough UPS run it maybe?

Is there any 3G signal in the area of your site?

By the way, I would suggest trying to suss your broadband options now in case you need to factor in FWA antennas etc...

Ok so your set up is quite different than I thought. Right that leaves you with several options. As for uploading onto a laptop, a standard DVR in the traditional sense cant really offer that. As Dardania said there are other options. You could have the following set ups:

1. An all in one camera either IP or analogue with SD drive that will record snapshots, motion etc onto a removable card.

2. This would be a little more expensive but you could opt for a DVR or camera with a 3G card in it, this will transmit the video for you, thing is data charges can be pricey..

3. Use a traditional DVR on motion and just review when needed. I had a unit one time and I was getting 2 or 3 months of high quality Mpeg footage from one camera on motion. Only had a 500gb drive too, thats probably the best option as if you eventually get Broadband you can just set it up for remote viewing then.

Now as I say these DVRs are sensitive so a water tight box may not cut it. Will you have a site shed or office or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

Thanks guys for the advice, certainly food for thought - it might not be as easy as i thought!!! I might just go with an all-in-one camera with SD drive for now - any recommendations on make/model/spec?

I reckon the axis one I linked could be a runner, as it's IP66 rated so it can be exposed to the elements.

Other things you could consider could be:

If the camera supports WiFi, you could use it with the likes of a MiFi (http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/mifi.htm) to monitor live, over the 3G network. That would push you to use a camera like: http://www.y-cam.com/y-cam-black-sd with an outdoor housing - ideally though you want higher image quality - I'd say at least a megapixel

Something to consider is whether you can find a use for the camera when you've moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How much for one of the Axis cameras linked to above?

How much for one of the Axis cameras linked to above?

probably too much - here's a webshop: http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/cctvshop/index.php?currency=EUR&cPath=3_1&sort=2a

But the y-cam (on the last page) seems an acceptable price

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I wish I had known that this thread was here.

I bought this yesterday - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=285933 I haven't opened the box yet and still have the receipt, so it is still returnable.

Is this a decent CCTV system? It says that it allows me to view the cameras over the web, which is the main reason I got it. Does anyone have any experience of this system and is it everything it is cracked up to be?

I would have liked to have got an extension lead for one of the cameras but the lead cost an additional 50 euro. Is there anywhere else that I could get a 30 metre cable for less than 50 euro?

Regards,

D.

Dummy,

The camera suggested above is just a single camears with an onboard DVR for all the world. They have a web server on them too for viewing online. Though they are pretty good as was also suggested they are not cheap. The last indoor Axis PTZ i sold was 1700 plus the Vat per camera, ouch!

Advertisement