Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of grass

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone have any ideas how I could get rid of 3/4 of an acres worth of cut grass!! Im cutting it every week and a half, takes about two&half hours as Im using a self propelled walk behind honda mower(if anyone has a decent second hand ride on for (800-1200EURO LET ME KNOW!!) Basically my back ditch is now totally covered in cut grass rotting grass, I thought of a compost bin, but were would I get one big enough! any suggestions are welcome, thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

you should get a mulching mower this chops up the grass as it cuts and sends it out the back and you'd hardly notice it . returns nutrients to the soil and no stopping to empty the damn box evey five mins , job done quicker, more time for those cold beers in the bottom of the fridge:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Burgess5

I agree with mountainy man. Check if your existing mower can be adapted for mulching. This may be as simple as a different blade. When mulching you tend to need to cut a bit more often, but the time saved emptying a box etc more than compensates.

You can't make propoer compost from grass clippings alone.
    I know someone who feeds his grass clippings to his neighbours cattle. They come running when they hear the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 getreadytogrow

Thanks guys, will look into a mulcher, would the grass have to be short for evective mulching? do mulchers work on damp grass? My neighbour (ajoining land owner used to farm, but has no cattle anymore I wonder could I still fire my grass in there!!!!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Burgess5 wrote: »
    I agree with mountainy man. Check if your existing mower can be adapted for mulching. This may be as simple as a different blade. When mulching you tend to need to cut a bit more often, but the time saved emptying a box etc more than compensates.

You can't make propoer compost from grass clippings alone.
    I know someone who feeds his grass clippings to his neighbours cattle. They come running when they hear the mower.

finely cut grass can be very dangerous for livestock when it starts to heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In our last house I had a similar size lawn.. My heart was broke getting rid of clippings... I planted a single row of 4ft evergreen trees in an arc around on corner of the back garden about 6ft out from the corner on each side, just left a small space to get in with the clippings. They build up during the summer and then they are rotten away the next summer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Exactly !. Every garden needs a good sized rubbish & compost area. Mulchers are an American idea - where they get little rain & slow growth. Mulch longish damp grass & you just end up with a green sludge all over your lawn. A proper mulcher will have two blades with one 5 to 10 mm above the other so that each blade of grass gets cut twice. Even so I have tried them but never bought one. If you want to give it a try then just block your grass chute !

Advertisement